Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Discarding the Chaff

    The cage holding my three zebra finches stands an arm's length away from the computer desk. Their songs make my writing time anything but quiet, but its pleasant background noise and I easily tune them out.

    However, yesterday morning was an exception. All three scratched and bobbed in the plastic food dish, and seeds shot onto the floor. Suddenly they would stop, peck at the remaining food, then the manic routine would begin again.

     I watched this for five minutes, totally engrossed in this birdy behavior, their sloppy but necessary routine of discarding the chaff or seed casings from the food dish once they broke into the seed's 'meaty' center. It reminded me a little of the revision process. We chisel the bloated paragraphs and tedious sentences in our first drafts into crisp prose with each revision. I happen to love the process, but yeah, it can get pretty messy.


    



  

21 comments:

  1. Great anaology, Dawn. It's funny how we can relate anything and everything to writing. Some may call that obsession. I call it focus. And those birdies are so cute. Nice little writing buddies for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable. Yes, the analogy works. I'm looking forward to getting this draft down so I can start chiseling away and discarding the chaff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, inluvwithwords, it IS focus! That's what I keep telling my family, but they don't appreciate it.

    Angelina, I'm ready for the next step, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true about the messiness. Good post <3 from a fellow campaigner and new follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly! Nice to meet you and thanks for the follow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great analogy. (Just another campaigner stopped by to say hello.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO messy! LOL!

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also a fellow campaigner. :) Love your blog's background by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brittany and thanks! Glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello there, fellow campaigner! That is a truly unique analogy - that's exactly what we do as writers when we edit or polish. Also, your birdies are adorable. So nice to meet a fellow animal lover! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a parakeet once that threw that stuff from one end of the room to the other! Looking forward to getting to know a fellow campaigner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. That's a fitting analogy to revision. :P

    Visiting Campaigner and new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a quick hello from a fellow 'beginner blogger'. Looking forward to meeting you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this comparison. Oh yes, the revision process can get pretty darn messy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi fellow campaigner!

    Love the zebra finches (and their little eep-beep noises, hee) and the analogy. You're right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ windycindy: Parakeets are quite a bit bigger than finches so I can imagine what the floor looked like! Thanks for stopping by!

    @ Golden Eagle, Jillybean, and Sarah: Happy to be on the campaign trail with you. Thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny post. I like those interesting snippets of life.

    I, too, am campaigning with you. Hope to see you around :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Dawn - great post!
    I'm your newest follower and fellow campaigner - just wanted to say, "hello"!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there, fellow campaigner! :-) Love your comparison. I agree the edit is messy but oh so much fun (for me...)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice comparison, and so true. Fellow campaigner! I will post a quick intro Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I seldom find any wisdom in my cat box. Thanks for the seeds!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...