Sunday, October 9, 2011

Daylight

 Ahhh. Fresh air, singing birds, and look! it's fall! Leaves falling, garden fading. When did that happen?  
My writing hole (well, not really but it could very well have been!)
Okay, I wasn't completely cut off from the world, but I've been in a writing cave for the last month, revising a previous manuscript for my agent.
     I'm a multi-tasker by nature, thriving when my plate is full, but revisions require single-minded focus (at least for me). The laundry piled up, the food supply dwindled, the yard looked like a prairie restoration project.  Yet I plugged away, tweaking chapter after chapter, writing a few new ones, combining others.
     I reread the manuscript first, before I started surgery. It'd been since January when I worked on it last. I love it when, on looking back at a piece of writing, I'm surprised by sections I don't recognize, paragraphs which I don't remember writing. Does that ever happen to you?
     Anyway, it's out of the house once again.  I'm ready to work on something new (like the WIP I ditched a month ago). So I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes on revision and a poem.

     "It is with words as with sunbeams -- the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn." -- Robert Southey

     "My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: when you write, try to leave out the parts readers skip."  -- Elmore Leonard

     'Ring the bells that still can ring;
     Forget your perfect offering;
     There is a crack in everything;
     That is how the light gets in.'  -- Leonard Cohen


   

8 comments:

  1. I'm constantly surprised by my work. I have a terrible memory, so by the time I finish a first draft I have no idea what's in the first few chapters. The surprises aren't always pleasant though :-)

    Well done on escaping your cave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Dawn, for being able to focus like that and get the revisions done. Now get outside and enjoy the fall season a little before plunging back into the next project. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sarah: I agree; the surprises aren't always good ones!
    @ MorningAJ: That's my favorite, too.
    @ inluvwithwords: I didn't like disconnecting myself from the new blog, though. That was one of the hardest parts, but it does take a lot of creative energy to keep going, as I'm sure you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The four lines from Leonard Cohen have gotten me through many more lines of my own. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when that happens - when you go back and think, wow! I wrote this?

    Wonderful quotes! I especially like the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Mirka: Me too! You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by,
    @ Susanna: Thanks. The last one is my fav, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being surprised by stuff I wrote. It happens all the time. (Mostly because I have a horrible memory and why I can never Pants a manuscript.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...