Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween and 'I Can't Wait' Writing

     On the days I've been subbing this month, I like to ask the kids what they'll be for Halloween.
     Their eyes light up! Hands shoot into the air! Some can't help themselves and they shout it out instead.  Some revelations are just too monumental to remember proper classroom behavior.
     'I'm going to be a princess!'
     'I already have my fireman costume!'
     'My mom made me a kitty costume, but I'm not wearing it. Kitties are for babies.'
     Oh, yes. Remember when deciding what to be for Halloween bridged the boredom between summer vacation and Christmas? The anticipation of finding the coolest outfit even though there were a million different versions on the streets; getting dressing in the final hour; making the grand entrance in front of your friends so they could ooh and aah? The anticipation was half the fun.
     That's what I'm feeling now, the same sense of anticipation while the NaNoWriMo clock ticks away, counting down to the final hour when I can finally start writing the story that's been tumbling around in my head. Maybe I'll fizzle out at 28,000 words like I did in 2009. Or maybe life will interfere again like it did last year and I won't even hit the 10,000 mark. Who knows? I'm excited and that's enough for now.
      Good luck, NaNoWriMoers!

8 comments:

  1. What a perfect way to put it! I'm doing NaNo this year too. Who knows if I'll make it the whole way, but something is better than nothing and it's fun to have a goal to get excited about and it's pretty great to have a group of people to get excited about it too.

    Have fun and Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this my first time and I'm so excited about it that I feel a bit silly, but I don't care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with NaNo. I'm not participating because I have 10K left on my WIP and should finish in the next few days. My WIPs never line up with NaNo time, though apparently there was some sort of NaNo going on in August when I wrote my 80K YA novel in 13 days, so I've unofficially participated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your attitude, Dawn. Heavy on excitement, light on pressure. I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your comparison! And that line about bridging the boredom between summer vacation and christmas? Perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy NaNo Day Five!
    Hopefully the initial excitement is still going strong, but if not I've come with a toolbox of inspiration. Ready?

    First, quote of the day: Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now.

    Second, NaNo Tip of the Day: Don't forget to reward yourself. It is often easier to notice our lagging word count numbers than to notice how far we've already come.

    Good luck!!! Just keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sommer: Thanks for the inspirational quotes! I'm still going (somewhat)strong for now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...