- Are you gearing up for NaNoWriMo in 2 weeks and 3 days? I am. I'm ditching my WIP (for now) which isn't working and starting the story that's been niggling for attention. What do you do to prepare yourself?
- How am I getting ready for NaNoWriMo? I found the Novel Novice blog this past week which is helping me with an outline and character profiles. Here's the link if you want to take a peek.
- Chris Guillebeau at Art of Nonconformity says he tries to write 300,000 words a year. Wow! That sounds like a finger-numbing amount, but then I thought of all the e-mails, posts, and comments I make on Facebook and blogs, not to mention the manuscripts I work on during the course of a year, and I guess it's not that big of a stretch. Someone shared his article on Facebook a few days ago, so I'm posting this link if you'd like to read his article. Interesting!
- In between NaNoWriMo prep, I'm working on a rough draft of a non-fiction biography picture book. The Illinois SCBWI chapter is hosting a workshop with the award-winning non-fiction queen Candace Fleming in January and I'm going! Keeping me company and cheering me on are two favorite picture books on my desk right now -- Action Jackson by Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan as well as Darwin by Alice McGinty. I love these two books for their story-telling voices and rich illustrations.
- Unrelated to writing, but worth a mention: orange is one of my favorite colors. And orange with glitter just rocks! What I'm finding out is that even though my husband's favorite color is orange, too, he can tolerate only a set amount of glittery pumpkins around the house. Apparently, I've exceeded the limit.