Friday, January 6, 2012

Bits of Writing Randomness: a Friday Five

     Six days into the New Year, I've sent off a manuscript to my critique group for next week's non-fiction workshop with Candace Fleming; finished reading through a MG manuscript and made extensive notes on what needs fixin'; and caught up on blog reading, desk organizing, and undecking the halls from Christmas. Here's what else I've been thinking about:

  1. I want this! Yes, it's a bookshelf that hides a secret room! Very Clue-ish, don't you think (was it Colonel Mustard with the candlestick behind the moving bookshelf)?
  2. Speaking of bookshelves, I have three new additions for the shelves: Daughter of Smoke and Bone, by Laini Taylor (currently reading - awesome!); Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (read it already but I left my copy at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and wanted it in hardcover); and Johnson's sequel, The Last Little Blue Envelope. Christmas break was spent reading while lounging on various chairs and couches around the house in pajamas, thanks to a few Barnes & Noble gift cards.
  3. My new favorite candy? Cafe Britte's Coffee Candy Chews! 
  4. One writing goal I made for the New Year is to maintain a daily word count: 750 words/6 days a week. I can do it!
  5. On the desk for Monday morning: charting the MG novel's plot and writing a new chapter while it's fresh on my mind. Mood: Hopeful!
     What are you working on now?

      8 comments:

      1. Wow, I need my bookshelf to be that big. Right now, I can't see all my books because there are books in front of them. :(

        I've borrowed Laini's book from a friend. I guess I should read that before I see her again. I have Maureen's book (when the publisher was giving the ebook away for FREE). I haven't read it yet.

        ReplyDelete
      2. I'm drafting a new YA novel. I'm using the fast drafting method and am typing away. I started Sunday and just hit 30K this morning. So far so good!

        ReplyDelete
      3. It all sounds great! I TOTALLY want a bookshelf that hides a secret room! I grew up on Nancy Drew :) Those coffee candies sound delicious, and I wish I had as organized a plan for Monday morning (or for today for that matter :)) as you do!

        ReplyDelete
      4. Working on preliminary plotting of a MG and the second draft of a PB, and dreaming of the secret shelves^ that hide all cluttery sins...

        ReplyDelete
      5. Cool shelves. But they would be totally counterproductive to my "read it and pass it on" philosophy. I am currently working my way through a stack of books I bought with Christmas gift cards, and eating my way through boxes of Christmas chocolates. And I'm only about a week away from querying agents with my YA novel. I hope that both of our hopeful moods are long lasting!

        ReplyDelete
      6. Good luck with your goals!

        I so want to have a house with hidden passageways/rooms. There's a ritzy neighborhood in town where many of the old houses are said to have them, as well as old buried fallout shelters. It's way above my price range, though!

        ReplyDelete
      7. Super word count goals! I'm working on a new MG.

        ReplyDelete
      8. Good luck with your new project, Marcia!

        ReplyDelete

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...