Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Five: Enrich Your Writing By NOT Writing!


This plaque is more inspiring than the
messy desk edited from the photo!
 
   While taking a break from revising, I took stock of my writing room and noticed all of the STUFF I've surrounded myself with to keep me company every day while I work. Then I started thinking of the ways we feed our creativity. One of my writer friends knits beautiful baby sweaters. Another volunteers at a home daycare once a week to lead a craft project, so she can stay connected with kids since her own have grown up.
     Here are some ways I feed my creativity:

  1. Reaching out to other writers by joining social networks. A biggie! This week I learned that Rachael Harrie is hosting another Platform Building Crusade. I met many of you last fall during her Third Challenge. If you're interested in signing up again, go to her website to learn more. 
  2. See that plaque up above? It's a little thing, but inspiring sayings make me happy. They affirm our beliefs and affirmation of any kind feeds the creative spirit, yes? 
  3. Nature is a biggie for me, too. Walking my dog, working in the garden, and even shoveling snow helps clear my head and gives me a fresh perspective on a writing roadblock sometimes. 
  4. Working with another medium. Playing an instrument, painting, weaving, and working with clay are other ways we can still 'create' when we need a break from writing. Multi-media collage fascinates me at the moment (maybe I'll show you my little project soon). Two of my favorite collage artists are Corrine Smith and Ardith Goodwin
  5. Share an experience with one of your characters. Okay, this is technically called research, but that sounds like drudgery. What does your main character do in his or her free time? Maybe this activity isn't something that even appears in the book, but it will go a long way for getting to know that character's desires and what makes them tick. Maybe it's bowling, putting together an ant farm, making a fort out of the couch cushions and a sheet (what will your kids think when they see you doing THIS? 'Mommy's really lost it this time, hasn't she?').
     How do you feed your creativity?

    14 comments:

    1. Very important post! I need to go rake my yard! I am in your write campaign group! :) Wooo hooo!

      ReplyDelete
    2. All great ways to spark creativity!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I feed mine by starving it during the summer. No first drafts for July-August. By September I am so super starving for that thing I call 'Full-focus'- the writing of a new tale.

      ReplyDelete
    4. For me Nature works the most and then all other activities in my daily routine.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi there! Glad to see you're in the campaign this year. I'm in group 1 with you. Have fun & good luck with the challenges. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hello, stopping by from the campaign!!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Fellow campaigner here, dropping by to say "Hi". Look forward to reading and learning from other writers like you. +1 follower. :)
      --Kevin

      ReplyDelete
    8. @ Alynza, Tracikenworth, and Kevin: Hi there! Thanks for stopping by and/or for the follow!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Nice to meet you. I found you on the A-Z list. Good luck with the challenge.

      ReplyDelete
    10. I get much of my inspiration from being around my writer friends. I feel their struggles when they struggle, but more importantly, I become motivated when they succeed.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Me too, Dave! My productivity goes way up when someone close to me shares good writing news.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Great post, Dawn. I'm stopping by from the campaign to say hello. I feed my creativity by spending time outside and trying new things that are a little out of my comfort zone. I love the idea of sharing an experience with one of your characters. I'll have to try that next.

      ReplyDelete
    13. @Celesta: Being outside seems to work best for me, too. The combination of fresh air and physical activity gets my creative juices flowing again. I can always count on it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      ReplyDelete
    14. Hello from a yet unpublished author and fellow campaigner. My creativity is often a function of the time of day. I start out creative in the morning (when I'm work, unfortunately) and it goes downhill from there.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...