Friday, March 9, 2012

Five Bits of Writing Randomness and Ten More Questions

     If you were to make a list of five writing-related bits of news, what would they be? Sometimes they roll right off my brain, other times...well, there's a reason why I haven't done a Friday Five post since early last month. But I have some now, so here goes:
  1. See that Blogging from A to Z badge to the right? That's what I'll be doing in a few weeks, posting every day in April (except Sundays). I've got a list of ideas, topics for each letter of the alphabet. Participants will be blogging every day a few sentences written down for a scattering of those ideas, but I have the feeling it will be pretty off-the-cuff. We'll see! Regardless, I'm looking forward to the challenge. And you can still sign up - just click on the badge and that will take you to the A-to-Z Challenge homepage. Already about 1,000 bloggers have signed up!
  2. My reading pile is dwindling. I just finished an excellent YA book, Muchacho, which was actually a free ARC I picked up at a recent workshop. Author Louann Johnson gave an excellent portrayal of a high school juvenile delinquent-wannabe-turned-poetry-writing-romeo who chooses the later path to impress the girl of his dreams.
  3. On the theme of authors whose last name is Johnson, I started Maureen Johnson's The Last Little Blue Envelope. This is the sequel to 13 Little Blue Envelopes, which I loved. Think Bridget Jones in a European travel documentary/love story!
  4. Buying Scrivener this weekend. I've heard it's a little tricky to learn, but I've also heard it helps in a BIG way with organization. Hoping to do away with my post board map of chapter summaries. Wish me luck!
  5. I've been tagged AGAIN, this time with some really fun questions from Nick Wilford (do stop by his blog and say 'hi'. He's a real friendly guy!) 
    So here are my answers to the latest round of questions:
    1. Who is your favorite character of all time and why? My favorite character AT THE MOMENT is Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. She's a great mixture of strength and vulnerability.
    2. When is your best time to write? I love to write in the morning when I'm well-rested and the day is full of possibility.
    3. What is the most underrated book of all time? Oooo, that's a tough one. I'm going with the Captain Underpants series.
    4. How would you feel if a book of yours was adapted into a massively successful film that far outstripped the popularity of your book? As long as I get a share of the profits, it's all good. 
    5. What is your favorite cartoon? As a child, it was Scooby Doo. These days Spongebob Squarepants makes me giggle. 
    6. What do you do when you get stuck writing? Something really mindless like iron, dust, or pull weeds.
    7. Toast, cereal or a full fat fry-up in the morning? Hot cereal, preferably with fresh strawberries or blueberries in it.
    8. How do you feel when someone else looks at your writing for the first time? I'm more self-conscious when my family reads my work than I am with a critique partner, editor, or anyone with writing ties. 
    9. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I'm pretty happy in central Illinois for now.
    10. What is one thing you hope to achieve by the end of the year? Ideally, I like to sell one of my stories, but I'll settle for finishing another manuscript. 

    3 comments:

    1. I've discarded a ton of ideas for my A-Z posts. I think I'll end up winging it :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. I still like Scooby-Doo!
      I have also tons of things to do. And I hope I'll make a list too. No matter how hard I try I always stay semi-organised.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...