Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is for CANYON

During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays). Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
     Last year my family and I hiked to the bottom of Grand Canyon. Carrying a 30-pound pack for four hours down rocky and hoof-pocked dirt trails takes a toll on the body but, man, was it worth it! Since my husband is a geologist, we enjoyed the added bonus of learning about nature's forces, how the river cut through the landscape to scour the rocks and expose millions of years of strata. 
     I bought a detailed map, a cross section of Grand Canyon. The different layers of sandstone, limestone and shale on the map are but a dull snapshot compared to the brilliant colors of the gorge when the sun spills over its cliff faces. Or how those colors look against the backdrop of a fresh snowfall and a brilliant blue sky like they did the morning we hiked out. Close-up you'll see the marine fossils like the crinoids and brachiopods. There are imprints of dragonfly wings and leaves, and the footprints of centipedes and scorpions. 
     That layering reminds me of a finely-crafted novel. On the surface, the plot, setting and characters make us want to take a closer look. The jacket copy and cover design sell us the story, promising excitement and intrigue. Only through reading do we discover the layers revealing motivations, character flaws, and revelations. The real story is in the details.
     

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those details. When I visited the Grand Canyon, I was a few months pregnant and did not hiking. So, I appreciate taking a closer look thanks to your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I can't imagine I'd be up for hiking while pregnant either!

      Delete
  2. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge...lovely picture on today's blog! Good luck with the challenge...

    Donna Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon.I still hope to one of these days. :)
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, it's all in the details but we need those outer layers as well to keep us directed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analogy!

    I'm a new follower from the AtoZ Challenge. Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Margo, and for the follow! Nice to meet you, too.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to the Grand Canyon years ago but was unable to hike down. After reading your post, I really want to go back and take that hike. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember thinking to myself as I was hiking out, 'Why did I ever think I wanted to do this?' It was just so HARD! But not even a half hour after I was out did I think, yes, I'm going to do it again someday. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment you have after going to the bottom and hiking out.

      Delete
  8. What a great post. I love the Grand Canyon! We watched a storm go thru the canyon 2 years ago, got some awesome pictures! I am your newest follower. A-Z is a lot of fun!
    until next time... nel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a sight to see, I imagine. We heard wind roaring through the canyon one night when we were camped on the bottom. It sounded like a freight train bearing down on us!

      Delete
  9. The wife and I will be going to see the Grand Canyon this June. I can't wait!!

    DL Hammons @ Cruising Altitude 2.0
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it! I'm not brave enough to go onto the Skywalk, but I bet you can get unbelievable views from it if you're not afraid of heights!

      Delete
  10. I've never been to the Grand Canyon but from your description, I want to go!

    Stopping by for the A to Z Challenge--it's so fun to "have" to be checking out new blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelly! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I agree that it's been as fun to find new blogs as it is to interact through these posts.

      Delete
  11. We went to the Grand Canyon several years ago and did NOT hike down, I feel like someone who read the first chapter of a book and discarded it, only to find out through others what has been missed. Stopping by from the challenge, nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, it's not too late!
      It's nice to meet you, too. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  12. I love the Grand Canyon...it is almost a religious experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with that, V.
      Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  13. Wow, the colours in that picture are just so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dawn,

    I am new to writing and blogging. I happened to stumble upon your blog in the SCBWI's new blogs of members and am here to see what other writers write and learn from them. Your earlier posts have a lot of tid bits that is helping me out :) Thanks a lot.

    Also, I was amazed at the list of blogs that you follow. Do you really follow them regularly? :) I guess its Eeny Meeny Miny Mo on them. Is it? :)

    By the way, I would like to very humbly point out that your posts lack punctuation and dont make an easy read. Many times, I missed a comma in those sentences and had to read a sentence twice to understand it fully.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...