Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for GOBBLEDYGOOK

     It's a great word, isn't it?
     I'll admit I was a bit stuck on 'G' for the Challenge. Then I remembered a handy book I have entitled, The Henry Holt Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Orgins, by Robert Hendrickson. Perfect!
     According to Hendrickson, here's how gobbledygook came into existence:
     'Gobbledygook means obscure, verbose, bureaucratic language characterized by circumlocution and jargon, and usually refers to the meaningless officialese turned out by government agencies. The late Representative Maury Maverick coined the term in 1944 when he was chairman of the Smaller War Plant Committee in Congress. Maverick attended a meeting, at which phrases such as 'cause an investigation to be made with a view to ascertaining' were rife. He wrote a memo condemning such officialese and labeled it gobbledygook, later explaining that he was thinking of the gobbling of turkeys while they strut pompously about.'
     I love that a politician compared his fellow politicians to turkeys!
     There are a few more letters for which I have yet to come up an idea. Maybe I'll be pulling Word Orgins out again soon...

18 comments:

  1. LOL! Politicians as turkeys! That will be stuck with me for today:)
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marta! Happy Easter to you, too!

      Delete
  2. That's definitely a fun word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Gobblygook and will say it all day long and possibly tomorrow.

    Nice to meet you.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I had no idea that's where gobbledygook came from! How interesting. Great to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to meet you, too! I'm glad you stopped by - thanks!

      Delete
  5. Haha, that word just got even better!
    I have been joking about doing this same thing for a few letters I have yet to come up with a topic for, namely X and Z, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's a great filler when you don't have a lot of time or ideas! I had to weed through a lot of words before I found something interesting.
      Thanks for stopping by, Katie!

      Delete
  6. I did this same title for "G" and up until about 3 days ago I had this same background on my blog....we must be twins separated at birth...ha ha...nice look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy! Yeah, what a coincidence - LOL!
      So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  7. I love learning about the origin of words. Didn't know it had a political origin, but makes a lot of sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I was just looking for interesting 'G' words!

      Delete
  8. This is one of my fave words. I majored in Political Science in college and learned of this word during a College Republicans meeting when one of my friends referred to the opposite side's argument over some issue at that time as 'gobbeledygook'. Still makes me smile to hear it. Thanks for the nostalgic reminder.

    Great post, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's still used in its original context - interesting.
      Thanks, Sabrina! Glad to bring back those memories for you!

      Delete
  9. I love, love, love this word. It (along with serendipity) are among my favorite. It's always handy to have a dictionary nearby isn't it?
    Rhia from Five Minutes for Inspiration (about # 802 on A through Z Challenge list).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love serendipity, too! Some words are just so fun to say!

      Delete
  10. Great post! I may need that book too! Some letters are harder than others!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...