Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for JACK, JEZEBELLE, and JEFFREY


   My 'J' post this morning is in honor of the three porcine buddies I met last month when I volunteered at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah. Jeffrey, Jezebelle, and Jack live in Piggy Paradise, their specially-designated digs on the sanctuary's grounds.

   Though I spent most of my volunteer hours with the dogs, I helped staff members one morning by making the pigs' breakfasts (lettuce, pellets, mixed veggies, cranberries, almonds), filling shiny metal pans. In all, I filled pans for about 20 pigs.
   Working with the pigs was a hoot! I was instructed to exercise one of them down the lane, carrying a plastic pail filled with dried fruit. Enticing him to move, even by baiting him with the fruit, was a challenge. He definitely had his own agenda.
    I never realized pigs were so smart. The staff said one pig in residence a while back wore a different-colored hair ribbon on her head each day of the week. If anyone dared give her the wrong color on the wrong day, she pitched a fit!
   Jack, Jezebelle, and Jeffrey were just plain adorable.

15 comments:

  1. What fantastic names for pigs. I have heard that they are smart. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous names for the pigs. They (pigs) certainly are packed with character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too funny! I had a dog that I would shave for the summer. If you laughed at her she would bark and hide under the bed until you said she looked pretty. I had another dog that would only come in the house if you sang "Did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world." We had someone dog sitting for us once and he had to put my now ex-husband husband on the speaker to sing it so she would come in.

    It is amazing how smart they are. I have heard good things about pigs, but didn't know they were that intelligent.

    Visiting from A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Shay! That was the LOL of the Week! What a character that dog must have been!

      Delete
  4. Hi Dawn .. yes I agree with Sherry - great names .. and they're strong to put it mildly .. so taking that chap for a walk must have been a bit much! I wonder how much exercise he gets in exchange for how much food - perhaps they cancel each other out.

    Must be fun down there .. and for a good cause .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pigs are fantastic animals. I think it's funny that one of them had a diva attitude and great fashion style LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always heard that pigs are among the smartest animals.


    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. gooness, wonder what it would be like to make breakfast for pigs rather than my kids -- would they actually eat it?:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty interesting preparing the meals. Each pig had its own 'meal plan' I had to follow. For example: '3/4 head of lettuce (chopped), 1 cup mixed veggies (no green beans), 1/3 cup pellets, 1/8 cup almonds'. Some had allergies, some were on 'diets' to lose weight. They gobbled it up!

      Delete
  8. How cute! I remember reading Charlotte's Web and wanting to trade in my beagle for a pig.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always had a tender spot in my heart for piggies. They really are keen, stubborn and such clowns! Thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, that's just an hour from where I live. I'm not sure I could have pigs for pets....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...