Thursday, April 12, 2012

K is for KAFFEEKLATSCH

     One of my earliest memories of my grandfather is sitting with him at his dining room table every morning for kaffeeklatsch. To my five-year-old-self, this summer ritual consisted of drinking coffee-flavored milk while hashing out our plans outside for the day. During the school year, our kaffeeklatsch went on hiatus.
    According to Robert Hendrickson's The Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, the word kaffeeklatsch is used synonymously with 'coffee break'. Klatsch is German for 'good gossip or gabfest', one held over kaffee, or 'coffee'. I suspect my grandfather's German parents, aunts and uncles met regularly for kaffeeklatsch when he was a boy.
   These days the strength of my coffee has grown exponentially with my age and no one else in the house likes the stuff besides me. Though it's been over 40 years since I first heard the word kaffeeklatsch, it's amazing the memories this word brought back when I was looking for a 'k' word for today's post.
   What word do you remember your parents or grandparents using which reflects your heritage?

5 comments:

  1. I am from the South West of England and my Grandma had a very strong regional dialect. Sadly it's dying out now, but she used to refer to me as a "little maid," which just means little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents died when I was little, so I didn't get to treasure moments like these, but I love to hear about them from others. It makes me dream of the reunion we'll all have someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for stopping by to visit my blog. My grandparents ... we moved away from where they lived when I was 6 and saw them only once a year. That is a loss for me. I have loving memories by no specific word.

    I have told my kids, however, that when they decide to have children, they cannot live so far away from their grandparents (Ok, they can't live so far away from me). I want to give them what I did not have.

    Thankfully, they live close.

    Thanks for the memories

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful grandfather!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...