Thursday, April 26, 2012

W is for WATCHING

     Who doesn't love people-watching?
      In any given day, the opportunities to observe human behavior are endless. At schools, in the workplace, on the street, in the parks, malls, and airports, the steady stream of humanity gives writers a world-wide laboratory of characters to observe and experiment with while crafting stories.
     Clothing choice, mannerisms, speech, and physical characteristics reveal so much about people. 'Every person you meet is a lesson in human nature,' wrote Fred White, in his daily writing meditations book, The Daily Writer. Even environment affects how people behave. Someone at a Fourth of July parade will act differently than if that same person is standing up as best man at a friend's wedding (hopefully!).
     One reason I substitute teach is so I can be around kids (helpful if you write for kids, yes?). How they play, what they talk, laugh, and complain about, and the things that excite them and what bores them - this is great material for character development. Sometimes I want to sit down and write in the middle of a class period or recess duty because of what I see and hear!
     People-watching is brain food for writers; your observations will nourish your stories' characters.

8 comments:

  1. I thought I was just being nosey when I people watched but now I know it's to help my creative skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it's quite an art to appear as a casual observer rather than as a gawker!

      Delete
  2. Great "W" post!

    I love observing people and how they interact. I get some of my best writing ideas that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People watching, better than a day at the zoo :) Stopping by from the A-Z challenge to say hi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! (Unless you're watching the baboons!) They're very entertaining!

      Delete
  4. Hello, Dawn! People watching is a terrific way to inspire new characters and story ideas. I don't mind waiting in long lines because there's always something interesting to see and hear!

    Have a lovely week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Thanks for stopping by, Laura!

      Delete
  5. And listening. Listening to folks talk is great! Bring a book or something though, so people don't think you're a stalker. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...