Thursday, April 26, 2012

X is for 'X' MARKS THE SPOT

During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays). Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
     Now a catchphrase for anything trivial, 'X marks the spot' materialized earlier in this century in England as a commonly-used caption in crime scene photos. The 'X' indicated exactly where the dastardly offense, usually a murder, occurred, so says my Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Orgins, by Robert Hendrickson. 
     In my house, 'X' will mark the crime scene, most notably my empty desk chair, if I'm not there working to finish a first draft in May. 

3 comments:

  1. Clever post! I love the last paragraph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about X marking the spot where you will uncover a treasure chest of words and stories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A treasure hunt, a treasure hunt... Good luck on finishing your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...