Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for YURT

During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays). Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
     What is a yurt?
                                      
     It's a circular 'tent', with wood slats providing the 'bones' to hold up its canvas covering in place. In ancient times, animal skins made up the covering and a small hole at the top of the structure provided a vent for the smoke when people cooked inside.
Bunny hospital yurt at Best Friends
     My first experience in a yurt was during my trip last month to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Four  buildings housing the rabbits were yurt-style, sturdy, wooden-framed buildings with some of the same elements you would find in a house, like framed doors and cement floors.
     Since my family visits national parks on vacation, we have stayed in many cabins on location - in Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, and Kalaloch National Parks on the Pacific coast - to name a few. I've run across yurts as options for overnight stays as well but I've never investigated until now. Yurts range from rustic (bring your own sleeping bag and pad) to luxury, like the interior picture of the one here in Bay City, Oregon.
     I can't say that staying in a yurt is considered 'camping' per se, as I've experienced my share of leaking tents and wet sleeping bags over the years, and yurts are considerably more leak-proof. But if you enjoy the outdoors and don't mind the night sounds of wildlife, a stay in a yurt may be a comfortable step up from a tent.

9 comments:

  1. That is one cute yurt. It would make a great writing hideaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And much cheaper to build than a cabin.

      Delete
  2. have an interesting space, a great pleasure to read you.
    if you like the poetry I invite you to my space.
    happy day.
    a greeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ricardo! It's nice to meet you!

      Delete
  3. My cousin keeps inviting me to come visit his yurt which apparently is in the middle of the hills in upstate New York. I have a feeling his is a little more rustic than your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know! The setting will probably make up for the lack of luxuries, though.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, yurts are bodacious. I suppose I could build one on our farm and I think I will. It could be my place over by the creek. Great idea. Thanks. And thanks for the visit over at my house. Following you back. It is lovely to cyber meet you. *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I've stayed in a yurt, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's as close to camping as I'm willing to go. I did my share of camping as a kid, and I'm camped out. This might make me reconsider sleeping in the woods. Ha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...