Friday, May 25, 2012

A Slow Death for a Non-Techie's Mindset

     My boys and I visited Barnes and Noble yesterday, looking for new books. As always, the girl behind the Nook counter greeted us as we came into the store. Most times she's talking to customers so I can breeze past her. But yesterday she was alone.
     "Have you had a chance to check out the Nook yet?"
      I haven't and I told her so.
     "Do you have a minute? It's really fun," she said.
     The boys darted past her, one heading to the military history section and the other to middle grade fantasy. I wasn't shopping for anything in particular, and I'm guessing my vegetarian sub sandwich at Jimmy John's had me feeling particularly amicable so I walked over to her. She gave me a two-minute tutorial on how to use it. I admired its functions, the capacity for holding thousands of books, its compact size, its sleek design. Maybe sometime in the next few months weeks, I might get one.
     Wait. Did you just feel the ground shake beneath your feet? The earth might have just reversed on its axis. This is huge, people.
     For two years, I've been curling my lip at the thought of an e-reader. I've been ignoring them because 1) after writing on the computer for hours, the last thing I want to look at is another screen; 2) technology (to me) is something that will eventually break (because of me) or become obsolete when the next, gotta-have-it version comes out within the next year; and 3) I like the experience of reading a  book by turning a page, not pressing a button or doing that Jedi move with my fingers on the screen. I just don't NEED one.
     Buuuuut...everyday I come across books through the many blogs I read which sound really good. Their getting great buzz from the big reviewer blogs. I'm winning e-books in blog hops and I can't access them!
    So I took a Nook brochure. It's sitting on the kitchen counter now. I've been glancing at it off and on for the past 24 hours, slowing warming to the idea of buying one sometime soon. I should probably check out the Kindle and IPad, too, to comparison shop. I'm resigned. An e-reader is in my future.
    I'll always love a physical book, though an e-reader has its purpose. I can understand the appeal. When it comes time to make a choice on which format to buy -- hard copy or the downloadable version -- I'm not sure what will drive my decision. But until the Nook brochure sends me back to B & N with an intent to buy, it's still books with real pages for me, thank you.
   Yesterday I bought five.
   
   


 

13 comments:

  1. I still love my books with pages, but like you, I've been hearing so many good things about e-readers. My sister has one, and she raves about it. I don't know. I suppose I'll hold out as long as I can, but I suspect that someday I'll own one, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mindset is suffering a slow death, too. If only e-readers didn't have such an impressive capacity! I better get my Jedi moves ready :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my kindle. A great way to save money on those books I wouldn't reread anyway. I still buy the nice hardback book in the authors I collect, but as for everything else...I love not having to figure out what to do with them all when I am done reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I'm like you. I don't have one yet, but it would be so easy (and less expensive) to read blog friends books online. Someday I'll need to break down and buy something.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'll get one eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have one, either, Dawn. I'll probably get one eventually, but I'm not there yet. Good luck with making your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out the Kindle before you buy a Nook, I have a K and love it. It is so not like reading a computer, the iPad is just a computer with an app on it, totally different to actually having an e-reader in your hand, plus you still get sunshine glare on the iPad. I don't actually miss reading a hard book anymore, although I have read some that I ahve at home and still enjoy my K. Go for it, you won't regret it, you will enjoy it but do check out amazon first to see how they compare and also to see how the variety of books available compare. Just my 5 seconds of influence whilst on my A to Z road trip, hope I didn't make a bad impression on my visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I will be shopping around before I buy. I really don't need an IPad, just something to read on. It will come down to the Kindle and Nook.

      Delete
  8. Hubby bought me an e-reader. I don't regret having it because, as you said, some books are only there on e-reader, and I have won digital copies of books. However, even having it for a year, it has not replaced my paper books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the paper books ever being replaced. They're just too convenient if I need to look up something quickly. I refer to them quite a bit when I'm writing.

      Delete
  9. LOL! I finally bought a Nook. For some of the same reasons you mentioned, plus I'm tired of my husband and daughter being on the internet with their phones when we go out for dinner. Now I have a Nook tablet and I can be online too. :) I decided that there are some books I want to read, but not study so I'll download them and save the money for the hard copies. :)

    B & N has classes on how to use your Nook to its fullest potential. I haven't been yet, but plan to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the class - that's not advertised anywhere that I've seen.

      Delete
  10. I have an ereader- but still much prefer books in print. I have only purchased two books on my ereader (it was a gift and I bought the books right away). I put books I win or books to review on the ereader. Ereaders are really good for the free books- but for me there will always be something about books in print and flipping the pages. :)

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...