Friday, July 6, 2012

One Hot Week and Five Friday (News) Flashes

For beating the heat and (ahem) creative inspiration
     This summer of extreme heat and no rain is taking its toll on me. Today the forecast calls for 103 degrees; tomorrow, the same. Looking forward to the high in the low 80s on Sunday (so says Intellicast).
     Despite the heat, I've been busy writing, reading, and enjoying other creative pursuits:
  1. I finished The Knife of Never Letting Go and started on last year's Newbery winner, Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. An interesting fact I learned about Ms. Vanderpool after reading a May 2011 interview with her in Literary Mama. The idea for her novel grew from a line she read in Moby Dick: 'It is not down on any map; true places never are.' Her novel is set in Kansas. 
  2. I'm continuing to rewrite a few chapters of a MG from the viewpoint of a different character. What amazing things I'm discovering by doing this! If you ever feel stalled in your writing, I highly recommend this. 
  3. Found a useful site which has downloadable character and setting worksheets at The Writer's Craft.
  4. A visit to south central Wisconsin at the beginning of this week brought to my attention a wonderful artist's retreat in Mineral Point, Wisconsin called Shake Rag Alley School of Arts and Crafts. They host workshops year-round in fiber arts, jewelry, creative writing, blacksmithing/metal arts, and you name it. My latest non-writing obsession is mosaics, and they host a class in November. Come fall, I'm going! I was in Mineral Point many years ago when my husband and I lived in Madison. It's a beautiful historic town filled with artist's studios, antique shops, live music and theater. 
  5. July is this blog's birthday month! Here's the Story is officially one-year-old on July 15th! On Monday, I'm hosting a giveaway for my followers which will run through next Sunday. Make sure you stop by sometime during the week to enter.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to look up those titles. I've never heard of them. Thanks for all the great links! This was going to be my last stop before bed, but now I've got to click over. . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...