Monday, October 22, 2012

Waiting to be Inspired: Nonsense


     I haven't had time for writer's block this month.
     If you read my last post, you know I gave myself a revision deadline. And missed it. By a MONTH.
     Thankfully, the manuscript is finally out of the house again. I was so looking forward to starting something new (well, an idea that I'd been playing with before the need for revisions), but life intervened.  There's been substitute jobs, travel and, most importantly, a sick family member to care for in October.
      So when I've found precious free time to write, I'm writing furiously. With so little creative time, wasting it like I usually do is not an option (no vacuous staring, trips to the food cabinet, bookshelf dusting). I'm not waiting to be inspired because I AM inspired by the limited time. 
     I found this quote recently and it cracked me up. It makes perfect sense. Writer's block is a myth.
     Enjoy.

"All this about inspiration. . . . I think writing is mainly work. Like a mechanic's job. A mechanic might as well say he was waiting for inspiration before he greased your car because if he didn't feel just right he'd miss a lot of the grease points, that he had to feel right up to it."
(E.B. White in an interview with Robert Van Gelder, The New York Times, August 2, 1942)


     Happy Writing!

1 comment:

  1. Great quote, and so true. Sometimes we just need to sit down and get to work and inspiration will follow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...