Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Five: What's Up


     I haven't done a Friday Five post in a long while. Maybe you're curious about what I've been up to writing-wise, maybe not.  Regardless, I'm listing them anyway since it gives me a good sense that my writing time is filled with more than just trips to the snack cabinet or scratching the dog's belly.
  • I've done it again and signed up for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. I'm #663 on the list of over 1,100 and counting (yeah, I know, a MONSTROUSLY HUGE blog hop!). There's still time to get your name on the list. Click on the A to Z badge at the right to check it out. 
  • Spring Break starts today! A quick stop at Barnes & Noble yesterday (quick in terms of a bookstore visit anyway) yielded two books on writing: Natalie Goldberg's brand new The True Secret of Writing and The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass. I'm especially excited to read True Secret because Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones is comparable to Ann Lamott's Bird By Bird, at least to me. I love how she weaves setting into her writing books. She's from New Mexico, one of my favorite places. 
  • Progress on the new manuscript is...is...progressing! After a few starts and stalls, it's finally flowing as it should be. Ended up with 3,000 words this week which were not even that embarrassingly bad for a first draft. And I hate first drafts, by the way. 
  • Over on Maggie Stiefvater's (Shiver, The Raven Boys)  blog, she's hosting a cool way to connect with writers who want to share their work via her 2013 Critique Partner Love Connection
  • Lastly, my dear friend Heather sent me this interview with author T.A. Barron, which made me smile and think, Yes, I totally get this. If you have a couple minutes to spare, check it out. 
    Happy writing! 

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the word count! I hate first drafts too :)See you in the A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. It's next week already!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on forward progression with the WIP, Dawn!
    I loved Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones. Glad to hear of her new book.
    Thanks for the links - going to follow them now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. If you liked WDTB, I know you'll like her new one. It's based off of the workshops she leads in Taos, NM.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your progress! Looking forward to the A-to-Z. Thank you for passing along the links.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon! Looking forward to seeing what you're doing for the Challenge!

      Delete
  4. "Here's the Story" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/03/sites-to-see_29.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...