Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for DRAFTS


During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.


    I'm always amazed at how creative people work. Be they writers, musicians, potters, or watercolor artists, it's fascinating to see the beginning stages of their projects. Creating something from a seed of an idea is extraordinary, a miracle!
     I went to an art fair last Saturday. There were 90 booths of paintings, stained glass, fiber arts, jewelry, a medium for every taste. One exhibit caught my eye: a ceramist. There were tiles of cerulean mermaids, mud-green ferns, and a panel the size of a small-window with a fantasy backdrop of faeries and fauna. But my favorite tiles were the moss-colored squares the artist had decorated with cardinals. 
     Curious about the process of making tiles, I asked what her 'first drafts' were like. She smiled and rolled her eyes, and I knew then that she felt the same way about new projects as I did — they're messy, tedious, frustrating, but necessary! 

"In writing, there is first a creating stage--a time you look for ideas, you explore, you cast around for what you want to say. Like the first phase of building, this creating stage is full of possibilities."  
                                                                                     - Ralph Waldo Emerson    
     

6 comments:

  1. How true about drafts. Even an organized person (like me) needs to jot things down in the heat f creation before they refine their work.
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. First drafts can be messy but they can also be the start of something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Emerson quote and I love first drafts even when they are messy because I know there is something in there I will eventually get to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes creating the first draft (of anything) is more fun that the finished product.

    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. A first draft can be so exciting- I often can't sit still when I get a new idea and start drafting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. O that beginning stage! Necessary to get the creative juices flowing! As you say about the seed - it is extraordinary that from the seed comes the manifestation - as in acorn to a huge oak!
    Thank you Dawn for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...