Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I is for IGNEOUS

   During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z  April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. And thanks for stopping by!

Granite in the Sandia Mountains, NM
     Our family vacations often include stops to look at rock outcrops. My husband is a geologist so these sidetrips are business for him, but also pleasure for the whole family. There are samples of igneous rocks like volcanic tuff, obsidian and basalts in our gardens. We've been to Cougar, Washington, staying at a motel within sight of Mt. St. Helens, as steam escaped from the top. We've been to Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho, which does seem like what I imagine a lunar landscape looks like, and Sunset Crater National Monument near Flagstaff, Arizona.
      Did you know that the word 'igneous' comes from the Latin word ignis, meaning fire? Igneous rocks are produced under conditions involving intense heat.
   

13 comments:

  1. How interesting. I never knew that about the igneous rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rocks thank you! My husband is a closet geologist and we love to ramble and pick up quartz and stone and he to discourse on them! Inert, yet not really!
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people have an interest in rocks and minerals. I hadn't realized this until I married a geologist and so many people started coming to him with questions.

      Delete
  3. They can look quite strange and otherworldly, those landscapes. Sounds like you go on some great trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can. Thanks for stopping by, Nick!

      Delete
  4. As a rock/arrow head collector, I found this 'I' post very interesting. What a great list of vacations spots. One of my prize arrowheads is an Obsidian Bird Point.
    You are INVITED to a Quilt Show...by INVITATION only...click on CITexasGal Link.
    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it entertaining, Sue! And thanks for the invite - the quilts were lovely!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I've been to the "top" of Mt. St. Helen's - but it's been years. I live in Washington, and my family and I went about 5 years after the top blew off and looked down into the crater. It's exciting to see how much change has occurred since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT must have been a great adventure! I'll admit though, I would have been 'nervous' being right there, knowing what happened in 1980 & seeing the destruction up close. It is truly amazing how nature repairs herself after that kind of event.

      Delete
  6. Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the books in the shape of the letters!
    igneous is a great word!

    and i liked the coffee shop post a lot too. love that atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...