Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for JOY in Writing

During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z  April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.


     "I’ve never worked a day in my life. The joy of writing has propelled me from day to day and year to year. I want you to envy me, my joy. Get out of here tonight and say: ‘Am I being joyful?’ And if you’ve got a writer’s block, you can cure it this evening by stopping whatever you’re writing and doing something else. You picked the wrong subject."
                                                                                                - Ray Bradbury, in his 2001 speech 
                                                                                                at the Sixth Annual Writer's Symposium by the Sea.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed a lot of Ray Bradbury's stories. He will be greatly missed.

    I agree it's important to find joy in your work. One way to accomplish that is to tell the stories that you want to tell, not the ones that you think you should be telling because everyone else is doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes i forget how much fun it can be to make up stuff.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote, Dawn. It is true. Write what you love and it will be so much easier to keep up what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Bradbury 'J'...Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall. His quotes are genius. I loved yours. Thanks!


    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most days writing is a joy for me. But when it comes to nagging editors and ridiculous edits, then I'm reminded it is a job! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dawn! Nice one! A reminder to ask ourselves that question.
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love his cure for writer's block. I wish I had read this quote when I was writing last night. I needed it. :)

    Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's why so many of us talk about a writing muse. When the joy is present, writing is such a treat. When life prevents joy, we are often stuck. But like I've heard so many say... a bad day of writing is still better than a good day doing many other things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...