Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for KITSCHY


During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z  April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.


     When I started thinking about topics for letter 'K', the word kitsch popped into my head. After a quick Google search, I found it defined as a word originating in Germany, usually 'reserved for overly sentimental, gaudy works or items that may or may not have popular cultural appeal'. By that definition, I'm not sure if describing something as kitschy is a compliment, though collectors of kitsch would probably argue that point.
     The above image, 'The Widow', is a kitsch example of the late 19th century popular lithograph by Frederick Dielman. Would you call it 'gaudy, sentimental, or culturally popular?' It reminds me of the two clown paintings which hung in my grandmother's upstairs bedroom, with their starched white collars and vacant stares.
     Can one write kitsch? 
     
    

12 comments:

  1. Interesting post thank you! I'm not sure how to respond as what I may consider kitsch may be art to another! The Widow is cute; not sure I would want this lithograph hanging anywhere!
    Can one write kitsch? Dunno - do you think so?

    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there can be kitschy-type books. You're right, though; what may be over-the-top to one may be the opposite to someone else.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard the word before. Interesting painting though.. what cat would keep that thing on for more than 2 seconds? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the promise of a mouse dinner dangling in front of his nose?

      Delete
  3. I agree with Susan: one's kitsch is another's art!

    Have a great Friday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the big fork and spoon (like what hung in the kitchen of Raymond's parent's house in the show) is a good example of kitsch. I always think of kitsch in the kitchen. That's where my grandma had all her funny things like the rooster and hen salt & pepper shakers!

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good example. Or some of the old advertisements that people frame. I also think of the black cat clock with the googly eyes that move with the pendulum.

      Delete
  5. As a 'Collector', kitsch is a familiar word and part of the reason I'm downsizing. As for 'The Widow', Fred nailed it...KitKitty,"Really? I have to wear this gaudy collar?"
    Yep, Kitsch is writeable.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like kitsch, but I don't have any ;) Fun to look at, at antique stores and garage sales. Kind of a trip down memory lane without all the clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks to me like a proper Victorian version of a cat wearing a cone so it won't rip out its stitches. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Marcia, you may be onto something! Thanks for the laugh.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...