Saturday, April 20, 2013

R is for REMOTE


During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
    

         One of my favorite spots in the U.S. is the corridor between Flagstaff, Arizona and southern Utah. If you travel north from Flagstaff along Hwy 89 and then head west on Hwy 89A near the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, you'll encounter some of the most desolate and beautiful canyon country on the planet.
       On a sunny day in March, the red cliffs against the blue sky is remarkable. Near Kaibab National Forest, there was enough snow to keep the northern entrance to Grand Canyon closed for another month. At one point, I stopped the car and got out. There wasn't a single car in any direction - amazing! Reading the roadside marker, I learned that I was standing on the only paved road amid 2.8 million acres of wilderness. The sign warns that traveling the other roads in this area of the state require 'advance planning and precautions to ensure a safe trip'. 

9 comments:

  1. This is lovely Dawn. I love remote places when all around are only the mountains, a road, wide open spaces and a sense of remoteness as when it was in the beginning! You could come to South Africa and ravel through the Karoo - one of my favourite places.
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I would love a trip like that!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love driving through remote areas. Hmmm. I haven't been on a road trip in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remote places like in your stunning photos, are indeed some of the most beautiful and desolate places. Heeding those warnings is very wise. Good choice for the Letter R...when I saw your title my first thought was of the button controlled Remote.

    My Letter 'R'...Rags to Riches
    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-that's funny, Sue! A sign of the times...

      Delete
  4. I've travelled through a lot of the US, and I believe I've probably been in this general region before, but I don't recognise the name Vermillion Cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful country. I've been to the Northern entrance of the Grand Canyon. We didn't realize how far it is from where we were and that it is a large expanse of just road. Gorgeous and much more rugged.

    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G.C. is a HUGE park! I didn't realize just how big until we drove from once entrance to the other on our way to Bryce and Zion parks

      Delete
  6. Hi Dawn, Visiting from A to Z. I agree those remote spots can be some of the finest we come across and the one you offer today is certainly remarkable as you say. Just beautiful! God bless, Maria Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...