Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for VERIFY


During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
    

     If the press's initial handling of the Boston bombings could serve as a lesson on how NOT to release information to the public, it would be a long, fruitless search for a more accurate example. The networks broke with the 'news' of key details, only later to retract their stories when authorities came forward during the press conferences with information. In a few words, it was sad and embarrassing.
     One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says 'I heard'. These two words usually have a name or names attached, coming in the form of gossip, a juicy story full of half-truths. I hear this too often when I substitute teach, especially at the junior high and high school level. It's awful, to exploit for entertainment or to improve one's 'ranking' in the social hierarchy. For years, I've told my kids never to repeat gossip, especially if a) they didn't hear it from the subject him/herself, or b) they didn't see it happen. Two books that illustrate the snowball effects of gossip and the harm it can cause are Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak and Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why.


'Never make negative comments or spread rumors about anyone.
It depreciates their reputation and yours.' - Brian Koslow

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    I agree. I am guilty of using 'I heard', but you've made plenty of good points here. I am a high school student, and gossip is inevitable here.

    my blog: morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, I've been guilty, too. We're all perfectly imperfect! Trying to avoid gossip is a never-ending exercise in learning to be kind to one other.

      Delete
  2. It's about kindness! You're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Dawn. As you say it is an exercise to avoid this and rather go for kindness. If you can't say something nice, don't say it.
    HAve a great weekend.
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...