Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for WAIT


During April, I’m blogging daily as a participant of the 
Blogging from A to Z in April Challenge (with time off on Sundays).
 Stay a minute. Read. Tell me what you think. Thanks for stopping by.
    

     Sometimes I come across a piece of my writing that I don't recognize. 
     This happens most often when I clean out writing files. I find years and years of unfinished work, a paragraph or two, sometimes a page, oftentimes more. Once in awhile, I'm pleasantly surprised by what I read, even though I can't remember having written it. But more often than not, it's bad. No wonder it was stuffed in a file!
     You want this objective point-of-view when you revise. Maybe not to the point that you've forgotten the project all together, but putting your work aside to 'cook' is essential during the revision stage. Problems become a little more apparent — a sagging plot line, a one-dimensional character, stilted dialogue. And how long should you wait to dive back in? I've heard anywhere from a minimum of three weeks to two months.

7 comments:

  1. I definitely have to leave space before I go back to revise, or the story is still too fully in my mind. I've found really old pieces that were so good I wished I remember where I was going with them, and some so bad I've refused to continue reading them, lol.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my files were definitely much thinner after I read what I'd been saving! Sadly, much of it was not worth the space.

      Delete
  2. I think giving your work time and space is the best thing you can do although it can be very difficult. It really gives you a better perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting to revise is certainly an exercise in patience!

      Delete
  3. Isn't it odd how you don't see the weaknesses until several weeks later? Yes, I definitely agree that we need to "forget we wrote" something for a few weeks before looking at it again. Stopping by from the A-Z. It's been a great month, hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It HAS been a great month. So nice to meet you, Cathy! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, that happens ..but sometimes it is pretty interesting to see what I've written ages ago. Letting it 'cook' is a great metaphor. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...