Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Slowing Down

     So according to the newspaper sales fliers, August starts the official Dog Days of Summer.
     Soon versions of this late summer sentiment will show up on the back-to-school sales ads — 'Dog Days of Summer Sale' with captions like 'Hot Buys' and 'Sizzling Savings'. Until now, I've been ignorant as to exactly what are Dog Days. So after a quick research trip to Google, I found where that term originated:
        'The Romans referred to the dog days as dies caniculares and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They named Sirius the "Dog Star" since it was the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major (Large Dog). It's also the brightest star in the night sky. The term was also used earlier by the Greeks, as referenced in Aristotle's Physics.
        Dog Days were thought to be an evil time when 'the Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures grew languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies," according to Brady's Clavis Calendaria, 1813.
       Madness, fevers, and hysterics? Yes, I can relate. This happens to me when the temperature gets above 90.
       August is a busy time, too. School starts. The cogs in the publishing world turn a little faster. For me, it's a good chance to stay indoors and finish the project I've been working on all summer. With that, I'm taking a blog break until Sept. 1st. Instead of regular posts, the next five Fridays will feature a themed post with links to some of my favorite articles on writing. I'll be linking to posts on Developing Characters this Friday, August 2nd.
        Stay cool and see you in September!
     


4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sorry you won't be back until September, but focusing on your project is the right thing to do.

    Meanwhile, I enjoyed finding out the history of the term "dog days". I never was quite sure when they were and certainly didn't know why they were called that. Thanks for an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elizabeth! Had fun researching 'dog days', too. I'm always up for following the tangents that lead me away from the WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just always assumed it was called dog days b/c it was so hot the dogs didn't want to do anything but stay underneath the porch in the shade. =) Neat to know it has its origins in Roman times- I was thinking more like a Southern saying, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of my assumption, too, Leandra, until I looked it up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...