Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Off Days

     Yesterday was an 'off day'.
     Everything I wrote sounded stilted. But it happens. When the creative well runs dry, it's not permanent. There's just a little hiccup in the process.
     I sat at the computer for an hour, powering through my initial word count before I got up. Then I tossed a load in the washer. Folded what was in the dryer. Parked myself in the chair again and type, type, type.
     That half hour produced some of the most uninspiring prose ever written. It was almost as bad as the first hour. The words were so off I was surprised the delete key didn't take control of the whole mess.
     During the summer of 2007, our family took a trip to the Southwest. Our ultimate destination was Albuquerque, where our boys would happily sweat their guts out during a four-day football camp organized by Brian Urlacher, now-retired linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
It's almost practice time. First-aid tent ready and waiting
On the first day of camp, our youngest complained his head hurt. He was the first one to sit (in the shade!) in the first-aid tent. He parked himself in a folding chair, drinking Gatorade and mopping his forehead. Minutes later, Mr. Urlacher walked over.
     "What's wrong with you?" he asked.
     Our son rubbed his forehead and related the problem.
     Mr. Urlacher patted his shoulder. "Take two Tylenol and get back out there."
     I thought of that day as I sat down yesterday for the third attempt at writing something usable. Again, the muses were not being kind. I was convinced that they took the day off. After lunch, I took the day off from writing as well. I knew I'd be back at the desk this morning. And I am.
     Sometimes half the battle is just showing up.
    Take two Tylenol and get back out there.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, sometimes you have to show up, sometimes you have to get up and walk away, and sometimes meds are in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I've heard that when talking about elite athletes, football or any other sport, the main difference between them is their desire, their motivation, their work ethic. I've come to believe it has to be the same with writers. So I agree. Pop two Tylenol and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I've heard that when talking about elite athletes, football or any other sport, the main difference between them is their desire, their motivation, their work ethic. I've come to believe it has to be the same with writers. So I agree. Pop two Tylenol and get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I'm trying to edit and wash clothes today. The clothes are winning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the day I'm having today. Very disappointing, but I know there will be productive days ahead. Thanks for the pep talk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...