Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Light in the Darkest of Days

   
    The week following Christmas brings a new mood of anticipation. After closing the cookbooks, tossing the shopping lists, and sorting closets and drawers to make room for gifts, time regains its normal rhythm, if only for a short while. The short, grey days call for reading, reorganizing, and reflection.

     As 2014 approaches, I look forward to new challenges. My middle child will graduate and move away to begin college. My oldest will be planning her wedding. I look forward to teaching a writing class and self-publishing my first novel. Making a resolutions list seems overly ambitious when I think of what the year already has in store. With such a full plate, slowing down to enjoy the moment must take precedence over checking another item off the list. Maybe slowing down should be my solitary goal.

     Will your goals give you a sense of peace and accomplishment? Did you make a list of both short- and long-term goals? How many resolutions on your list are writing-related?

     I'm hoping the new year brings you much joy and fulfillment. Cheers, my friends!


           

   

   

10 comments:

  1. I love this time of year!! Reflecting on what I've learned, areas where I can improve and planning new goals for the next year. I try not to make resolutions as they're hard to follow, but goals, yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A full plate and an exciting one at that. A wedding and a child leaving can be stressful, too. Neat you are teaching and self-publishing a book. I have yet to explore the self-publishing angle. Trying the traditional route first, but with an eye on the other :). Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! Good luck with navigating the soon-to-be-empty nest. You have your sights set on some impressive goals and I know you will be a success at teaching and publishing your novel. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Traci: I love it, too! We had a good snow storm yesterday and now the temps are falling, so good stretches of time to organize, plan, and write!
    Sharon: I see many writers going both routes, holding on to the idea of a traditional deal, but getting those manuscripts that have been turned down by publishers into great shape to self-publish.
    Kim: Thank you for the kind words! Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a busy year in store! I love how the turn of each new season and year is a time to set new goals. How exciting that you'll be teaching and self-publishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the start of a new year and the time to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the next. :) Looks like you will have a busy year! Enjoy every minute.: )

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Marcia & Jess! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A busy year indeed! I would love to hear more about your writing class and your experience self-publishing - please share as you achieve those upcoming goals!

    And congratulations to your older and middle child on huge life events!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will do that, Alana - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got sick the day after xmas and was not well until this week! The new year started slow for me. But I'm slowly getting back on track. I wanted to finish a book proposal, which I did today. I have to wrap up my book...hope to get it done in Feb. i have many interruptions in my life, so those goals are the only ones I've set to date. It's been a while since I popped in. NIce to see you blog again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...