Friday, February 7, 2014

Relentless Winter, Restless Writer

 
   When I turned the calendar page from January, with its sub-zero double-digit lows and a handful of school cancellations, I hoped February would help me forget The Month That Didn't End. But it's just not going to happen. School was cancelled two days ago (more snow) and I think the green nubs of sedum and crocuses, which have poked through the ground in Februarys past, sense what's been going down topside during this last month and will be laying low for the foreseeable future. There's more snow on the way tomorrow and the thermometer will stay below 20 for the next week at least.
    I shouldn't complain. The nasty weather has given me the legitimate excuse to stay inside and write. I've been putting together materials for an introductory 3-week community education class on writing for children (which, alas, was also cancelled the other night because of the weather!). I'm also working on two scholarship applications for weeklong intensive writing workshops. And then there's the manuscript, always the manuscript.
      Reading-wise, I have a handful of books on my nightstand. My book club is reading Sweet Tooth, by Ian McEwan, and I'm loving it so far. The setting, 1970s London during the Cold War, is the backdrop for a British intelligence agency's new recruit as she is assigned to infiltrate the literary society of an author whose work the agency hopes will help steer the political discussion of the times.    To complicate the matter, she falls in love with him.
     There's also the new Newbery and Honor books — Ulysses and Flora, by Kate DiCamillo, One Came Home, by Amy Timberlake, and Doll Bones, by Holly Black — that I'm looking forward to reading (especially excited to read One Came Home by a fellow Illinoisan - yay, Amy!)
     What have you been working on and reading?

9 comments:

  1. I'm just a ways north of you outside of Chicago. I've also used the cold to my advantage to get writing done. With weekends in and a few days working from home, I feel like a recluse! I was glad my critique group was still willing to meet earlier in the week despite the snow. I needed to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm working on a new mystery novel. I love the way bad weather can make you stay indoors and write. We don't have the bitter weather you've been having, here in Sacramento, but it's been colder than usual, with the same effect. Good luck on your scholarship applications.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie: So you know firsthand what I'm talking about! It's been brutal weather! I remember winters like this when I was a kid. I'm stuck in a rural area 20 miles from Bloomington so getting out isn't an option when the weather's bad! Getting a little stir crazy...
    Elizabeth: I would so love to be in your part of the country right now! Good luck on your new project, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes. The WIP is crawling along. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm revising my WIP. In my TBR pile are SWAY, BIRD, and THESE BROKEN STARS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BIRD and STARS are on my radar, too, Marcia.

      Delete
  5. I'd normally be tired of all the snow, too, Dawn, but my husband drives a snow plow, so I'm feeling grateful for the winter weather these days.
    I just finished reading Ignite Me (the third in the Shatter Me trilogy) and am revising (again) my contemporary YA WIP. Good luck with all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can only imagine all the snow - I believe there was even some in Texas. But wonderful that you are 'housebound' and get on with writing.
    Here in South Africa it is hot hot hot.
    Am also working on book: 'Aging & Becoming' and doing posts for the April A-Z blog challenge. I put one up last week Monday ..
    I'm reading Donna Tarrt's "The Goldfinch' on my Kindle when I get a chance.
    Be safe and work well on your projects!
    http://www.gardenofedenblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth: Yes, I can see why you might welcome this kind of weather! Good luck with your revising.
    Susan: I'm starting my A to Z posts this week, vowing to have a good start on them once April comes. Good luck on your book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...