Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Favorites: An Author Visit, Links, and Small Things to Celebrate

 
    Last night our local SCBWI network hosted local author Patricia Hruby Powell and heard about the delightful journey that her book, JOSEPHINE, the DAZZLING LIFE OF JOSEPHINE BAKER has enjoyed from idea to publication. So far it's received rave reviews from Kirkus, School Library Journal, Shelf Awareness, and a slew of others. Christian Robinson's electric illustrations compliment Patricia's high-energy prose. I LOVE this book and am so happy that Patricia has struck gold with JOSEPHINE.
     A few posts from this week which caught my attention are: from Women on Writing and the challenges of being a parent who writes; the author/reader friendship at Project Mayhem; and particularly the post on what kills your interest in the early stages of reading a book at Writers Helping Writers. I've put down two books in the last month that I just couldn't continue. What didn't resonate with me? This post made me think about what might have happened when a reader can't connect with a book.
     What *small* accomplishments am I celebrating this week, in the spirit of Tara Tyler's Celebrating the Small Things Blog Hop? I'm at the stage of finding a cover for my middle-grade novel, BINGO SUMMER. Adding visual pieces to the writing puzzle has always been one of my favorite aspects of the publishing process. When contributor copies with my short stories came in the mail, it was always a thrill to see how the illustrator interprets the characters and setting. So being more involved in this process is particularly exciting.
     I'm also celebrating the fact that small patches of grass are showing through the melting snow in the yard. I am SO READY for Spring!
     What have you been up to this week?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog, great to meet new people. I am also looking forward to the warmer weather. The forecast says it might be better here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, Suzanne! I'm afraid winter isn't quite over here yet, but it's nice to get a little sun to melt some snow.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Dawn. I actually just got home from taking the dogs for a walk around the neighborhood. *HeatWave* in Buffalo, NY! Hit 40, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40 here today, too - I feel Spring!!

      Delete
  3. Josephine looks really great, I bet that evening w/the author was a fun time. And yay for patches of grass. I noticed buds on our trees when I was coming in from work this evening. I miss leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are buds here, too! I also noticed sedum poking up in the flowerbeds, though those crazy plants seem to pop up in the dead of winter.

      Delete
  4. Yup, we also had 40 degrees today. Still a ton of snow. I wonder if we can get it all melted without massive ice forming everywhere. Oh, and do I hear you about putting down a couple of books you couldn't continue. I've found several of those these past few months. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I REALLY dislike not wanting to finish a book. It borders on guilt. This is especially true when the book has received great reviews because it makes me feel that I've completely missed the value of it. There is one author, a Newbery author for gosh sakes, that I cannot read. I've tried two of that person's books now and I can't get past the first few chapters. It's so true that you can't write to please everyone.

      Delete
  5. Love your title, Bingo Summer :) I know what you mean about some books. I've had to force myself to finish a few, and do, only because I was committed to review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from A to Z! I am SO ready for spring- it can't come soon enough. Yay for those green patches starting to appear :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...