Friday, March 28, 2014

Just a Little Cover Reveal...

Okay, so this is BIG, BIG NEWS! 
     After years of writing, rewriting, subs, rejections, awards, more rejections and then new possibilities, I'm happy to announce that I've hopped off the Roller Coaster of Perpetual Publishing Limbo, to send my middle-grade novel, BINGO SUMMER, out into the world!
     It was SO MUCH FUN working with Heather McCorkle on this cover. Bringing the visual components of a story to life with illustrations and/or photos has always been one of my favorite aspects of publishing. I love to see how an artist interprets an author's words. Heather's vision for Summer was so perfect; I'm thrilled with the results!
     Here's the back cover copy:
     On her thirteenth birthday, Summer Haas scratches the lottery ticket her mom tucked into her birthday card and the down-on-their-luck family become instant millionaires. Then the attention gets crazy in their small Illinois town, and the family moves north to ‘disappear’ in the Chicago suburbs. Summer’s new home might as well be on the Moon, it’s so different from where she used to live.
     Suddenly, Summer is a candidate for student council, trades her t-shirt and jeans for mall-brand clothes, and throws a party for her entire grade even though she didn't invite a single guest. Everyone wants Summer to be someone other than herself, including the super-popular Suri who Summer hopes will be her new best friend. There’s Mara who wants Summer to forget about competing with her for third base when softball season comes. And Summer just wants to avoid Dink and Anna even though she has more in common with them than she wants to admit.
     But when Mara discovers how Summer’s family made their millions, and threatens to tell the whole school, Summer needs a friend more than ever. Can Summer fit in AND stay true to herself?

     I'm planning on a May release if all goes well. Stay tuned for more news on the official release date, giveaways, contests, etc. Yay!
     

21 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations, Dawn! Yes, isn't seeing ART for your story fun? For me it first happened with a small magazine story, and I just felt so honored that someone actually drew a picture to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Marcia! That's how I felt, too.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I love the cover and I've always loved this story. So happy to see it come to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Scotti! That means so much to me, considering you and the rest of the group were the first to see it way back when.

      Delete
  3. Dawn, your cover really caught my eye! It's vibrant and so cute! I love the stars around the title. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kelly! It was so much fun to have input with the process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic- andI love her mustard yellow jeans! Congrats, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Dawn! You were an absolute pleasure to work with and I'm thrilled with how Bingo Summer turned out. Can't wait to hold it in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! I'm so happy with the cover, too! Surprisingly, the backdrop is exactly as I pictured the downtown. Can't wait to see the final product!

      Delete
  7. Great cover, Dawn. The colors are "very European." The picture brought a narrow cobblestone street in Salzburg to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inge! I love bright colors, so I was very happy when my cover designer found this picture! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Looks like my finding and following your blog has brought you success! Okay, maybe I can't take all the credit. Maybe you've worked very hard honing your craft and have totally earned this success! Congratulations. See you at the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan - thank you! Yes, see you during the Challenge. Now, back to writing my posts!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! This sounds like such a good MG book- I can't wait to read it! I am curious to find out what happens to Summer. :) Love the cover!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! I can't wait to read it and the cover is fabulous. http://shells-tales-sails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting, Dawn! I had no idea this was happening in your life. Sorry to have lost touch so much but love you so much and so proud of you! I will obviously be purchasing some copies for my middle school library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Your support means so much to me.

      Delete
  12. How exciting! This looks and sounds as if it'll be a perfect book for my daughter's middle-school library. I'm looking forward to reading it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cover is fantastic! I can't wait for this book to be out and get my signed copy and buy for a gift, too! Great, great cover and story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...