Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Alcatraz: A Writer's Road Trip Series

      The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
Artwork courtesy of Jeremy Hawkins
     Ever since I read Gennifer Choldenko's middle-grade novel, AL CAPONE DOES MY SHIRTS, I've wanted to visit Alcatraz Island. As you can imagine, Choldenko isn't the only author who has used Alcatraz's hauntingly desolate backdrop for a story. Its broken ruins beg to be an eventual setting for any writer.
     For a walking tour, you'll catch the ferry on Pier 33. It's a short ride across the bay, and you'll have a great view of the city. On the day before our tour, I took the BART to Pier 39 (think, sea lions!). There I sat outside on a bench with my camera, notebook and a pen. It was a cold morning, only a few people shared the pier with me, but the view was outstanding as you can see.

18 comments:

  1. Hubby and I visited Alcatraz a few years ago. It's a fascinating place to visit, and you're right. The views are incredible.

    Shelley Munro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Never been there, but your picture is great. Are you going to write about the actual adventure or was the adventure leading up to the adventure enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the Al Capone book but intend to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to work in the North Sea and our base was just below Peterhead Prison, not somewhere anyone would want to visit.

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting theme for the month! I never did tour Alcatraz when we lived in the area, and I regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this theme! I visited San Fran during my honeymoon but never made it out to Alcatraz. And thanks for the reminder on the Al Capone book. It reminded me I've been wanting to read that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh! What a fun setting. I don't know that I could do the cold, but I applaud anyone who can. I'm such a Floridian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm off to San Fran this week - I remember Alcatraz from a previous visit 12 years back and the stories around it. Wasn't a film made of it, and also, has NO-ONE ever swum from there to land?
    Thanks Dawn-enjoyed this post!

    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be quite a month. Looking forward to your series

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember watching the movie Escape From Alcatraz... a long time ago...
    What a view! It could unleash some great ideas...
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've added Alcatraz and Pier 33 to my list of places to see :)
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this theme! I always think of the movie "The Rock" when I think of Alcatraz. :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello and I also would like to visit there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like nice place watched The Rock (movie) and Alcatraz (TV Series) may be I would be lucky enough to see it in person :)

    My Contributions to April A-Z challenge 2014

    Story Teller - http://vikaskhair.blogspot.com

    My Third Eye - http://cameramythirdeye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been to Alcatraz, but I've always wanted to :)
    Love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll look forward to more of your travels as we continue through B - Z.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea to feature cool writing locations! Love your blog. Middle grade is where my heart is too... Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I lived in the Bay Area for over ten years, and NEVER went to Alcatraz... I don't even know why. Now that I'm in Japan, I'm realizing there is a lot in my hometown that I never went to see, and it's sort of a shame. Not going to make the same mistake in Kyoto!

    Alex Hurst, fantasy author in Japan. "B is for Books" is my current post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...