Wednesday, April 2, 2014

B is for Biltmore: A Writer's Road Trip Series

The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an short visit, be it an afternoon, a weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
 A trip to Asheville, NC a few years ago included a stop at George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate. The size of the rooms on the main floor was staggering! Naturally, the draw for me was the library. The two-level room holds 10,000 volumes, and displays a black marble fireplace large enough for me to walk into and stand upright. Best of all, there is a secret door on the upper level that Mr. Vanderbilt used to enter the library from his bedroom, to find a book or return one late at night. Could I fill a library this size with books? You bet! How about you?
The Biltmore library


     










12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! I had no idea (or rather I forgot) that things like this exist in the U.S. too! I'm going to have to plan another roadtrip, once I get my money in order. How cool!

    Alex Hurst, fantasy author in Japan. "B is for Books" is my current post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Biltmore, and I can't even imagine having such an amazing library. I also remember the empty indoor swimming pool--a very ghostlike room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love a library like that, along with the secret door! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dawn! Great to dream of having such a one! I love the idea of Vanderbilt entering exiting through a secret door!

    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That might just be my dream library. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the Biltmore. Visited several years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Dawn. The Biltmore Library reminds me of the library in Beauty and the Beast. Love it that there was a secret passage from the bedroom to the library! Now that's exactly how I would spend my money if I was a multimillionaire.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that is like my dream home!! I love castles and this is just astonishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Dawn,

    That's impressive. It looks like a fairytale castle. 10,000 books? I'd be in heaven.

    J.L. Campbell writes at The Character Depot and the Jamaican Kid Lit Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That place is so beautiful. I could sit in that library and read forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to visit here someday! And, oh, to be able to sneak in w/out a tour guide and just explore to my heart's content? *sigh* A girl can always dream, right? =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the scent and feel of old books. That library is such a beautiful room. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...