Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for Cape Hatteras: A Writer's Road Trip Series

The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an short visit, be it an afternoon, a weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
     If you love beach vacations that focus more on relaxation and inspiration (read, a perfect spot to work on that novel!), then the Cape Hatteras area villages are an ideal spot. I'm claiming creative license here for my 'C' post, because my favorite spot is not part of Hatteras Island, but a short ferry ride through the Hatteras Inlet. It's still part of the Outer Banks, but at the southern most tip, Ocracoke Island is set apart from the rest in more ways than one.
     Blackbeard claimed Ocracoke as his favorite spot, and he apparently lost his life here in a battle. Pirate lore abounds; more than 500 shipwrecks happened around the treacherous Diamond Shoals. Many residents have used the wood from these ships, which occasionally washes ashore, to use in their homes. The beach has been ranked as the #1 beach in the U.S. on several lists. It's uncluttered and without the hotels and other touristy spots that many beaches have. Most shops and lodging are within a one-mile area, on the northern tip of the island, including the charming Books to Be Red at 34 School Street. It's one of those independent bookstores which enjoy a steady fan base of loyal locals and a steady influx of vacationers looking for a great beach read.

7 comments:

  1. Looks lovely and a history of pirates as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't tell you how much I LOVE Cape Hatteras for vacation. As a matter of fact my A to Z challenge yesterday on my Blog was for Beach and it was pictures of my Collie Teach (named after Edward Teach) on the beach in Hatteras Village. We love going over to Ocracoke for visits and beach sitting while we are there. And I LOVE to read so will have to check out that book store this summer. We always visit Buxton Books up in Buxton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's my kind of beach - quiet!

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have it on my list of places to visit.

    Have a fun April!

    Challenge Beyond
    I am challenging A to Zers to draw a simple picture with their mouth - try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like an amazing place to write, with all the pirate legends taking place there! That in itself would be enough to inspire me, let alone the beautiful landscape....So nice to be a vicarious traveller and get away from the concrete jungle (I'm in Hong Kong)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this is in North Carolina? I couldn't tell from the pic. Interesting about all the shipwrecks. I heard similar stories when I visited the Oregon coast up toward the Columbia River. Treacherous waters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. North Carolina is a place I would love to visit - in fact Carolina north and south. Pat Conroy writes about this place in his novels and it has always fascinated me. I don't remember the titles of 3 autobiographical books - The Prince of Tides was one of most favourite books and is set there as are his autobiographies ..Thanks Dawn - it looks like bliss.
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...