Saturday, April 5, 2014

E is for Elephant Rocks State Park: A Writer's Road Trip Series

The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!

   Geology lessons fit into most of our family trips. My husband, a geology professor, likes to help plan trips to geologically-rich areas, and we've often driven waayy off the beaten path to visit some of these places. Luckily, Elephant Rocks State Park, in southeastern Missouri isn't too far away from civilization.
     The most fascinating aspect of this place is the monstrous granite boulders, remnants of an ancient volcano, which dot the park. Place your hand on one of them and you're touching almost 1.5 billion years of geologic history! When the sun hits them just right at sunrise or sunset, the rocks resemble a line of red circus elephants walking head to tail.
     Situated in the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest, opportunities for recreational activities ‑ biking, hiking, float trips ‑ are everywhere.
     For a literary connection, take a scenic drive 90 miles to the south and visit Laura Ingalls Wilder's Rocky Ridge Farm, near Mansfield. Here she wrote many of the Little House books.

9 comments:

  1. I used to live near Missouri, how did I miss THIS?? I love rocks and boulders, I'd have enjoyed this park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there several times! The park is amazing. Pictures do not do it justice. I love geology anyway and that place was heaven on earth for me. Too bad it was about 101 degrees that day, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic boulders. All that history contained in them it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks beautiful and very inspiring. I would love to go there.
    Dropping by from A-Z!
    Sania @ Fragile Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your theme for the #challenge. Stopping by on the 5th day looking for fellow writers. Congratulations on your blog. I know you are going to make new blogging friends this month. I'm writing about gardening and related topics and having a wonderful time. If you have time or interest, come and visit. I looking forward to following you and will share your blog with reading friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely Dawn thank you. Stones seem to be coming up in one way or the other in eg FB and a particular thread I follow .. I know stones are not boulders ..
    1.5 billion years back - cannot help be in awe when they're in front of your eyes...
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool theme! I used to live in MO. Hate that I missed this park!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds fascinating! And I love the idea of visiting Rocky Ridge Farm.

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen: I'm guilty of taking for granted what's in my own backyard. Maybe some day you'll visit again!
    Huntress: You're more adventurous than me! I'd be sitting in the air conditioning if it were that hot!
    Sally: It's hard to fathom, isn't it?
    Sania: Thanks for stopping by! Nice to meet you!
    Stepheny: The Challenge is an amazing opportunity to meet so many people! Thank you for stopping by.
    Susan: Boulders, stones, big, small, not so different other than the size. Isn't their age just mmd-boggling? I can't even wrap my mind around that number.
    Amy: Thanks for stopping by, Amy! Sorry you missed the Park; maybe someday you'll be back this way.
    Madeline: It's a great day trip if you ever get the chance!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...