Monday, April 7, 2014

F is for Freedom Trail: A Writer's Road Trip Series

The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!

   I visited Boston for the first time 10 years ago when my husband attended a business conference. On the second morning in the city, I found myself at Boston Common, the beginning point of my self-guided walking tour of the Freedom Trail, with a detailed map and a good amount of coffee.
     The 2.5-mile Trail is fairly easy to follow; it's brick-lined and the buildings and sites are fairly well-marked.  Of the sixteen official sites on the trail, the Old North Church was my favorite. I'm a sucker for 18th and 19th-century architecture, and the church is a gorgeous example. It's the oldest church in Boston, having opened its doors in 1723. And its steeple, topping almost 200 feet, is also the city's tallest.
     You'll also see Boston Common, Old South Meeting Hall, the site of the Boston Massacre, Bunker Hill, and the USS Constitution. Even though I chose to tour at my own pace, there are companies who offer walking tours. The Freedom Trail Foundation gives a 90-minute tour with costumed guides, though it must be a no-frills tour. I was on information overload by the time I reached Copp's Hill Burying Ground four hours later.
Follow the red-brick Trail

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful trail. I'm fond of gothic architecture myself - all those arches and gargoyles.
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
    FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember taking a school trip to Boston. Four days we spent there, touring the historic sites and basking in the history of the city. It was one of the most amazing trips I've ever been on. You can just feel the past when you're there. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very lucky to have lived so close to so much wonderful history! I could walk the Trail so many more times; there's so much to see!

      Delete
  3. I have never been to Boston, but your memoir has definitely created an urge in me. I love the description you mentioned minutely in the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get the chance someday. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I've never been to Boston, but have always wanted to go. After reading your blog, even more so! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not religious at all but old churches dazzle me. The Old North Church sounds like something I'd love to check out. And lucky you, visiting Boston! Did you eat some beans while you were there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked the trail with my kids when they were younger as one of our homeschooling field trips and again years later with visiting family. Glad you got to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great field trip! What better way to learn about our country's history than to walk through it!

      Delete
  7. I've never been to Boston, but if I can get there one day I'll walk the Freedom Trail. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Chrys! I hope you get to go someday!

      Delete
  8. Now this is one I have been to. I loved the freedom trail, especially the grave yard. I don't know if I've ever seen anything so spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so atmospheric! And so many famous names - amazing!

      Delete
  9. WOW, that sounds like it was a beautiful walk and place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dawn, this is an off-topic comment, but I saw your reply on Susan Kaye Quinn's blog about starting/joining a collective. I'm also a MG writer and would be interested in teaming up, if you are. Feel free to email me: reddshell at gmail dot com

    And now for my actual relevant comment -- I've never been to Boston, but I've been wanting to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've visited Boston a few times when I've been over to stay with cousins in NH. Being a Brit in Boston is an unusual experience - given the history! ;-p I do remember a tour guide explaining, however, that the old quote: 'The British are coming!' is a misnomer - at the time of Paul Revere etc. they were ALL still British! ;-)

    (Hopped here via Cathy O-W's A-Z 'G' post - liked what you had to say!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that was a misquote, too. I'm glad you made it to Boston. I can see how that experience would be much different for you, given your perspective!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...