Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Grand Canyon: A Writer's Road Trip Series

     The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
     I'd written about my backpacking adventure to Grand Canyon two years ago during the A-to-Z Challenge. It was an exhilarating, torturous, transcending, physically painful, and mentally-challenging journey. During my 5-hour trip up the Canyon, I vowed I would never do that to my body again. Two hours later, I was planning my next trip down. It was THAT cool!
     One aspect of the trip I didn't mention during my last post was the Canteen at Phantom Ranch. After a day exploring the bottom of the Canyon along the Colorado River, a visit to this campground community building for one of their icy lemonades is nothing short of heaven (25 cent refills, too!). The Canteen is the perfect place to play cards, socialize with other campers, journal, or grab a toasted bagel with cream cheese if you're sick to death of eating dehydrated food.
     On the second day at Phantom Ranch, it drizzled. So I walked to the Canteen to read something from the 'library', a collection of books and magazines left by other hikers (probably with the hopes of lightening their packs for the ascent). I purposely avoided the 'Death in the Grand Canyon' title, and left my paperback copy of Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes for someone else.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, the Grand Canyon! That cabin must have seemed like an oasis.
    My hubby and I went to a village in Austria called Mayrhofen for our honeymoon. We went to the top of the nearby mountain in a cable car and decided to walk down, not realizing how far it was and how bad the terrain was (esp. without proper footwear, food or drink). After about four hours we found a cabin in the middle of nowhere -with refreshments! Bliss, but I doubt if I could have written a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What luck that was! I can't imagine walking that distance without snacks or drinks. But I bet the scenery was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been an amazing, if gruelling trip. The cabin sounds amazing. I love the impromptu 'libraries' that tend to crop up in such places. It's a great place to swap a book and discover something completely new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back memories Dawn thank you. I was with friends in Phoenix who took me there one day just short of 2 weeks back; the drive there was wonderful. The Grand Canyon was beyond amazing. If we'd had more time I would have loved to walk down it, and back up again. Well done on you for actually doing it!
    Garden of Eden Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...