Wednesday, April 16, 2014

N is for Newport: A Writer's Road Trip Series

     The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
   Known as the site for the summer 'cottages' of the country's wealthiest families during the Gilded Age, Newport, Rhode Island draws crowds throughout the year to see the ornate mansions, many of them still privately owned. Some of the most spectacular mansions, like the Vanderbilts' The Breakers and Marble House, host tours. Author Edith Wharton's novel, THE AGE OF INNOCENCE, described the social scene of Newport. The town was also known for its 'summer White Houses', since presidents Dwight Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy kept homes there. The town sits along Narrangansett Bay, a popular beach and marina destination.
     We visited Newport ten years ago when the kids were small. It was a foggy afternoon; the thick fog are just rolled in from the bay, and the mansions were completely shrouded. Only when we drove around the bend near The Breakers did it come into full view. And what a view; the scale of that house was enormous, even with the limited visibility!
     While you're visiting Newport, stop in at the Spring Street Bookstore for a good beach read.

7 comments:

  1. I've never been out to the east coast but looks beautiful. Someday I'll have to get out that way and take in a few of those mansion tours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been, BUT I loved the movie The Age of Innocence. It wasn't a huge hit, but it prompted me to read the book... Yeah, it was that sort of love. And the book was even better.

    This picture is breathtaking. Can you imagine having that sort of view from your porch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I haven't spent as much time up North as I'd like. This looks like a place I'd love to visit, though.

    Visiting you from the A to Z challenge sign-up page. It's great to meet a fellow SCBWI member/first-time published author! Congrats on your book release. I'm currently working hard on my own recent release...spring 2014 was the magic season for both of us, looks like!

    Stephanie Faris, author
    30 Days of No Gossip
    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newport is definitely on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to visit any place on the East coast, since I'm from Oregon. I'm here visiting from the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally: It is! My description doesn't do it justice, by any means.
    Jean: If you tour any mansions, I'd narrow it to just a few. The tours are expensive, and after awhile, they all start looking the same.
    Robin: I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but I think I will now that you gave them the thumbs up!
    Stephanie: Congrats on your upcoming release, Stephanie! Coming over to your blog to say 'hi' in a minute...
    Melanie: It was a happy 'accident' for us; we were just looking for a good beach spot for lunch, and 'whoa!', there they were!
    Karen: Speaking of Oregon, that's were I want to visit! Portland has been on my list for years. And my husband fly fishes, so the rivers up there are of special interest to him. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...