Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Old Town: A Writer's Road Trip Series

 
photo courtesy of the City of Albuquerque
   The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!


   One of my favorite characteristics of Old Town, in the heart of Albuquerque, NM, is the maze of streets, brick alleys, and hidden alcoves that lead to all the art galleries, clothing boutiques, and jewelry shops. Until you literally turn the corner, you don't know what interesting shop you'll find. I loved the adobe buildings, the colorful flags hanging overhead, the local artists with their jewelry laid out on tables along the sidewalk. While you shop near the town square, stop in at Hacienda del Rio for authentic Mexican food.
     Speaking of food, if you visit in September, Old Town hosts the annual  Salsa Fiesta. Sample salsa during the salsa competition (stock up on Tums!) while you listen to live salsa music. And don't forget to stop in at the independent Treasure House Books, situated right on the Square. They have many books signed by local authors!
   
   

8 comments:

  1. My husband travels for work. Would you believe he actually said, "I'd hate for you to go with me and be stuck all by yourself all day." I said, "I'm a writer. Writers deliberately go to places where they can be alone for a week so they can get work done!" I may have to tag along on some trips...especially to some nice places like the ones you're mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the best kinds of trips! He's busy all day, and there's a wide expanse of time to either stay in the hotel room and write (without all the distractions of home), or go explore a new city!

      Delete
  2. Headed to Chicago and the North Shore in May on what I affectionately call 'the family drive-by.' Headed downtown to the Gold Coast area where my second novel is set. Any suggestions for this writers upcoming road trip? Would love to visit Old Town in NM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm curious about your book's setting! I don't make it downtown Chicago too often to know about any special spots. We catch a few baseball games each year (Cubs and Sox fans in the house!), and go to the museums along the Lake, but not much venturing beyond that.

      Delete
  3. That looks like a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love salsa. I think I might have to take a trip to Old Town!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like another place I have to go to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is making me road trip hungry! So many places to see and explore, and possibly even write about!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...