Saturday, April 19, 2014

Q is for Quincy: A Writer's Road Trip Series

     The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!

   I knew going into the Challenge that some letters would be hard. And Q...well, Q almost had me. So far I've been able to write about places I've been to. I think the personal experience is a little better than writing a general description and throwing up a photo from Google Images. I almost forgot I'd been to Quincy, IL, and it's even in my home state!
     The city's most famous claim is that it hosted the sixth senatorial debate between U.S. Senator Stephen A. Douglas and Abraham Lincoln in 1858. It drew a huge crowd - 12,000 people! Since Quincy was right across the Mississippi from pro-slavery Missouri, the city drew its share of controversy and tension. Dr. Richard Eells, a staunch abolitionist, sheltered runaway slaves in his home who were on their way to Chicago. His home was recently restored, and is now open to visitors in the downtown historic district who might be traveling along the 550-mile long Great River Road on Illinois' western border.
   

6 comments:

  1. I love old houses like that! And that debate sounds like a good setting for a story... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too, Leandra! They're not made like that anymore, which it too bad.

      Delete
  2. What a fun place to visit! There's a Quincy in Massachusetts, too...near Boston. Not sure it's a good place to write, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been through Quincy, MS, too. Nice city! I decided not to use it, though since I wrote about the Freedom Trail for 'F'.

      Delete
  3. 12,000 people. Wow. That is huge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I can live some of the places in the US vicariously through you. Thanks for a great blog and enjoy the rest of the AZ Challenge...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...