Wednesday, April 23, 2014

T is for Thermopolis: A Writer's Road Trip Series

The turquoise spring water is full of beneficial minerals

     The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!
   The one time I ended up in Thermopolis, known as the 'Gateway to Yellowstone', I was dirty, hot, and tired from several days of camping. I'm very much a fair weather camper, for those of you who don't know me well, so I was pretty cranky since a thunderstorm had dampened the camp site the night before. I just wanted to get back to civilization for a bit, get clean, and eat something that I didn't have to cook myself over a camp stove.
     My husband has visited Thermopolis, located in north central Wyoming, many times before. He teaches a geology field camp in the area each year, so he was already an annual visitor (and big fan). But as we pulled into Hot Springs State Park, I didn't know what to expect. After the first minute of soaking in the natural geothermal pool inside the State Bath House, I was sold!
     Thermopolis, a Greek word for 'hot city', is home to the world's largest natural hot springs. More than 3.6 million gallons of mineral-laden water comes from the spring daily. And it's 127 degrees as it pores forth from the underground vents. The Shoshone and Arapahoe tribes claimed Big Spring's water held healing properties for the body and spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect place to stop. Wish I had some hot springs here right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...