Friday, April 25, 2014

V is for Viroqua: A Writer's Road Trip Series

     The Writer's Road Trip Series is brought to you by the Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge. This month I'm blogging daily about ideal places for an afternoon, weekend or longer stay to focus on your writing. Need a retreat to finish that manuscript? Or maybe a virtual trip to inspire a scene? Take a minute, read, imagine. And thanks for stopping by!

   Each time I visit Viroqua, Wisconsin, I find a little something to make my appreciation for this area in southwest Wisconsin grow.  My husband first came to the Driftless area (so named because the landscape was untouched by glaciers) for the first-class, trout streams. When I started tagging along, I looked for things to occupy MY time since I don't fly fish.  All I did was Google 'Viroqua', and the options were crazy-plentiful. The downtown district, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, gives visitors plenty of specialty shops (Bramble Bookstore!), a farmer's market from June to October, and some of the best food in the Midwest, like at the Driftless Cafe, a farm-to-table restaurant. After ordering anything from their menu, you'll want to shop at the Viroqua Food Co-op. That's because you'll be sold on the awesomeness of locally grown food, and want to make everything you eat from scratch! Seriously, the Driftless Cafe is that good.
     Viroqua also has a very active arts culture.  The Ark's mission is to host theater, musical events, writing and art classes for people in the area. There is also the Driftless Folk School, which also offers art classes. It's currently hosting a Kickstarter campaign to help with its expansion.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...