Thursday, May 22, 2014

Summer Road Trip Essentials - Books!

     It's almost that time of the year when some of my to-be-read pile shifts from living on my nightstand, and takes up residence in the car. Whether en route to a writing conference, ballgame, or a cross-country road trip, books have always been the must-have travel accessory for me and the rest of my family. I'm happy this habit has caught on with each of our kids, but, geez!, sometimes we're literally a library on wheels when we hit the road.
     I can remember one vacation two years ago when the five of us read through our stash, and found a great place to restock, Square Books, in Oxford, Mississippi, with three separate store fronts on the historic town square. I love supporting independents, and I'm sure they appreciated the armload of books my daughter brought to the front counter.
     Vacation plans this summer include a 10-day trip to Sheridan, Wyoming, with a 20-mile hike to complete over three days. Even though we'll be carrying our own food, clothing, water filters, and sleeping gear, saving room in the backpack for at least ONE book is a given
     A tallish stack of books sit on the book shelf in my study now, ready for summer reading. Here's a few:
  • See You at Harry's, by Jo Knowles
  • The Strange Case of Origami Yoda, by Tom Angleberger
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, by Chris Grabenstein
  • Dead End in Norvelt, by Jack Gantos
  • The Probably Future, by Alice Hoffman
  • The Painted Veil, by Somerset Maugham
     What's on your Road Trip Reading List this summer?



   

8 comments:

  1. What a fun way to travel! This summer I plan to read a lot of cosy mysteries, since I'm writing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great that reading is a job 'requirement'? Good luck with the WIP!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Square Books... I was there just yesterday!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous that you're so close! I'm an hour away from the nearest independent.

      Delete
  3. Last vacation, on the beach, I read 4 books. It was heaven. I like to hike but, lying on the beach is more my style. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaches are ideal for reading. Hiking, not so much. But in between the camp set up, cooking, and cleaning, I'm hoping for a little down time.

      Delete
  4. Yes, leaving the house requires books! I loved Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice. Jealous of the road trip. =P Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...