Monday, June 23, 2014

The Writing Game: Surviving Those 'Off Days'

     It was a tough day for my son on the ball field.
     Playing right field, he couldn't get a handle on a couple of line-drive singles. He missed the cut-off man on another. Hitting-wise, the shortstop threw him out on two infield grounders. His coach took him out of the game after four innings.
     As we drove home, he was full of excuses.
     "It was hot."
     "The ball was hit too hard."
     "The sun was in my eyes."
     "I was bad, wasn't I?" he asked.
     His head wasn't in the game. I could tell by his slouchy posture, how he kicked at the grass, and watched a bird fly overhead while his teammates focused on the guy at the plate. I didn't say that, though. Instead I said, "Everyone has their 'off' days."
     "Maybe I shouldn't play next year."
     I shrugged. "That's your choice," I said.
     At the high school level, he'd have to make a choice between playing baseball or joining the track team since they share the same season. He threw discus in track and really enjoyed it. But at the time, he was in junior high baseball. And he was discouraged.
     "Everyone's better than me," he said. He slumped down in the seat, pulling the cap over his eyes. "But I love baseball," he mumbled.
      I looked at him, and something dawned on me. He sounded like....me. He sounded like me on the days when I wished that I could get an acceptance before I get another rejection. That my computer wasn't so slow. That I could write as lyrical and fresh as that shiny new author at Big Publishing House. Some days I complained more than I composed. It's all just so hard, I thought. Why bother?
     On days like that, I just want to wallow in self-pity. And nothing and nobody is going to stop me, by golly. But I love writing, so I'll be back at the computer the next morning if I'm not there the night before. I can't imagine a time when I won't be writing. It's just not possible. It's who I am.
     So go ahead and allow yourself an 'off' day if you feel one coming on. Embrace it. Wallow with chocolate, Ben & Jerry's, or whatever your vice.
     Then dust yourself off and get back in the game.

9 comments:

  1. This is such great advice, and so true! We do all have our "off" days. But what's important is that we don't give up if it's something we want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My collection of rejection letters is a 'reminder' that I haven't given up - ha!

      Delete
  2. It's all part of the journey... the good, the bad, the ups, the downs, the days of confidence and the days of insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. This indeed is fantastic advice. But if you have another day when you're feeling a little low, check out this link. It reinforces what you said in your post and will hopefully give you the encouragement to keep going. (Sorry it's been so long since I've commented.) http://lje1.wordpress.com/2014/06/20/courting-the-muse/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link, Dave! I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good advice. When you're feeling blue about rejections, it's best to go through the feeling and come out the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's hard and if we didn't have those off days we wouldn't be human. But somehow, we keep bouncing back, keep coming back. I guess that's HOW we know we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful advice! Sometimes we have those off days and feel bad days- and that is okay. As long as we dust ourselves off and get back in the game. :)

    Thanks for sharing!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...