Friday, October 10, 2014

Showing Up

     My husband asked if I wanted to get up for the lunar eclipse the other night.
     I did. Everyone was talking about it. It was a big deal. Seeing it gives one bragging rights, like shopping at 2 a.m. does during Black Friday. And after all, it was the second of four consecutive lunar eclipses in 2014-2015, a tetrad, says NASA, which will occur 142 times within a 5,000-year cycle. A VERY big deal.


     Okay, but we'll need to get up around 5, he said.
     In the morning? But...
     I stumbled through a litany of excuses.
     A big portion of the task is just showing up, isn't it? Woody Allen said being present accounts for about 80 percent of accomplishing anything worthwhile, be it catching a lunar eclipse or writing a novel.
     While my excuses won out and I missed the eclipse, I don't often give in so easily when it comes to writing. I'm a list-maker. Daily, weekly, and monthly goals keep me focused, and I love checking them off one at a time. It energizes me. Morning e-mails answered, check. First 250 words written, check. Blog post written, almost.
     What will you show up for today?

6 comments:

  1. Today, I am happy to say, I showed up for submitting stories: 1 short story and 2 flash fictions sent to eerie-type fantasy magazines, since Halloween is on the horizon. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck for your subs, Elizabeth! 'Tis the season for spooky stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so true about showing up. It's surprising sometimes how far that alone can get us! I didn't see the eclipse either. But I was told that it wasn't visible very long in our area before the cloud cover hid it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to get up and watch it... key words are 'wanted to'...

    HAH!!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously those were my words, too. Maybe next time. It supposed to happen again in the spring.

      Delete
  5. I have seen other lunar eclipses and very much enjoyed them. I didn't get up for this one, as I had excuses that won out too (also they were saying it would be too cloudy to see it, so I wasn't especially motivated). It is true that showing up is part of the battle. Sometimes I get there and sometimes I don't. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...