Wednesday, February 4, 2015

March (Writing) Madness Comes a Month Early

Goal: to make my writing as fun, challenging, and
intricately-woven as this student artwork
     February is only four days old but I'm already looking ahead to March. I've been busy putting together a writing workshop for the local Girl Scout council. Since I've never done an interactive workshop with more than 10 kids, and the minimum for this upcoming group is 50 (!!), I'm getting creative with how to manage the logistics. It's been fun, challenging work.
     Meanwhile, I have a manuscript almost ready for final editing. It's one I've worked on for several years, and has gone through some major transformations. I'm anxious, yet excited to get this out into the world. If all goes well, I'm expecting a fall release for THE UPSIDE OF DOWN, a contemporary YA. 
    Leaving you with today's favorite of craft-related posts: the inspirational Donald Maass on Writer Unboxed reflects on creating characters with different world views. 

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes for the fall release. And kudos for doing a workshop with young people. It makes such a difference to be exposed to the arts early on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! And I agree. One of the best things I've heard in a long time was when one of my students from last summer said, "There are two kinds of writing, writing for school and writing for fun." That's a little sad, but at least I'm teaching them the 'fun' kind of writing.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read your next book! I'll be checking back for more details. :)

    Good luck with the workshop! That sounds like a ton of fun. I hope to do something like that one day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...