Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Five Ways to Get You Writing

Time: every writer's crutch at some time or another
 Credit: www.bigfoto.com
     Who hasn't complained about not having enough time to write? Raise your hand if you've sacrificed a valuable afternoon of creative output for something else, thinking that you'll make up for it later. I'm as guilty as anyone of filling up the calendar, chipping away at the time I could spend writing. But I've also discovered that even when I'm not actively tapping away at the keyboard, most activities inspire my work and increase my output. Here are five ways, which sometimes feel like guilty pleasures, that boost your writing life more than you think:
  • Connecting with other book people in person. Sure we're online all the time, blogging, interacting on listserves, Tweeting and commenting on Facebook, but how often do we get face time with our critique partners, librarians, or maybe writers/poets at live readings? We are so often alone while we write that meeting people, especially like-minded people, gives us an encouraging boost. If you live in an area far from opportunities to meet people in-person, set up a Skype/Facetime date with a critique partner. And do take advantage of one-day workshops and writing conferences. If you've never attended an event with dozens or hundreds of book-loving people, you don't know what you're missing!
  • Try Something New. Even when you're not actively writing — surprise! — you actually are. Okay, so taking an extended weekend to shop the outlet mall in the next state over is not the best use of your non-writing time. And I'm not suggesting signing up for a month of community ed classes on creating with paper mache. But if it interests you, go for it, especially if one of your characters runs a homemade pinata business. Being serious now: the point is, new experiences open up the world for your characters, too, helping you to make them three-dimensional with passions and interests all their own.
  • Exercise. A healthy body equals a healthy mind. One of my favorite quotes is this: 'A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description of a happy state in this world.' - John Locke, English philosopher. 
  • Goal-Setting. Are you making steady progress on your writing? Do you have off days (like everyone else)? By making weekly and monthly goals, you can see at a glance what you've accomplished. I set goals in three areas each month: reading (number of books), writing (by tracking word count), and business/social media (blog posting, contests, etc.). Then I break these goals down even further into weekly goals. If I don't make a mini-goal during the week, so what? I have three more weeks to pull it off. The pressure is minimal and tracking your accomplishments help keep the morale up. 
  • Help Someone Else. Remember when you were a beginning writer? You had endless questions about craft, goals, the industry? Guess what, someone else is at that point right this very minute. There's been several people who've helped me from the beginning. Early on, I promised myself that I'd return the favor to someone else someday. The pluses of mentoring someone is two-fold: someone benefits from your expertise and helping someone else can lift your spirits. 
Happy Writing!

6 comments:

  1. Good post with nice reminders. It's easy to take for granted the weird fact about being a writer is that, yes, you really are writing even when you aren't writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be better at jotting ideas down as they come to me when I'm out and about, though. I can't tell you the number of times I've had what I thought was a fantastic idea, so great that I would remember it once I was back at the computer, only to completely forget by the time I got home.

      Delete
  2. The first several years that I was a writer, I interacted with no one, but in the last year I've gone to a conference and two writing workshops, and I'll be going to another conference this year. And I love it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! They are addictive, aren't they? I remember you saying you'd never been to a writer event, and now look at you! Awesome.

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I thin it is important to interact with other writers at conferences and I always feel inspired and rejuvenated after attending one. Exercise is another way to get inspired. I do some of my best thinking when I am walking or hiking and I come away with new ideas. Like you, I always try to help new writers and bloggers. I remember what I felt like when I started and the time spent helping others is well worth it! Awesome post!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...