Saturday, April 1, 2017

The Importance of Atmosphere to Writers



   The effort a writer makes to get into a creative state has always fascinated me. Whether it means first reading from a page of a mentor text or lighting a candle, creating a character collage or placing that plastic replica of Godzilla next to the laptop to get into The Zone, a common mantra seems to be 'whatever works!'
     For me, walking into the familiar atmosphere of my study always flips the 'write' switch. My bookshelves are like old friends cheering me on. There's my son's paper mache bowl made in third grade, filled with M & M's, that keeps my chocolate cravings at bay. And my pink sunglasses, a gift from author Eileen Spinelli during a Highlight's Foundation workshop, reminds me to see the world through my main character's eyes.



    


7 comments:

  1. Your study looks fantastic! As I lack a room of my own, I must get up before the dawn to get space to write. I associate that quiet time - but one that holds promise for the day ahead - with the writing mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that very well. There's no time like early morning for that feeling of being able to conquer your manuscript.

      Delete
  2. Atmosphere is everything to me in my home especially. I love making my guests feels cozy and welcome, but my office is my special place. I have maps of the world and u.s. on the wall to inspire me and mementos to remind me why I write. It changes from time to time. I clean up the clutter and start over.
    "Female Scientists Before Our Time"
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the evolving decor in my room. There's something about surrounding yourself with things I love that makes me want to recreate those feelings in my writing.

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, my desk is cluttered with pictures, and post-its and books, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Somehow whenever I take my seat at that desk, it is time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My office is definitely a place that makes me want to write (well, most of the time). It has everything I need and great reminders and trinkets around. Plus, it is very comfortable and just as I like it. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, it's putting in my earbuds, no matter the location, and starting the first song in my writing playlist with my laptop open to Scrivener in front of me. The world fades away and I am immediately immersed in my creation. Sometimes that may be on my couch, on the back patio, at the dining room table, at my desk, at a tea/coffee shop, the library, or even meeting my writing bestie at the movie theater balcony restaurant. I like my scenery to change.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...